C H A P T E R 8

'TIL DEATH DO US PART?

RUEN

Fast forward to the day of the wedding, I sat alone waiting for it to start.

It's running late, it should have started almost an hour ago. My grandfather hates wasting time, so what is holding the ceremony back?

Unless... Amelia didn't come?

I was relieved if that's the case but I, at the same time, felt something akin to disappointment.

Nope! I'm not touching that raw ball of emotion. No.

A knock on the door brought me back to my senses. Mim came inside and approached me saying it's about to start.

I could hear the wedding march being played as we walked to the hall. My grandfather was inside along with all the other guests. I looked over the altar where Amelia stood. She was wearing a suit, a feminine cut white suit, and beside her stood her father.

Looking around, I noticed that no media crews were covering the wedding. Aside from the official wedding photographers, no members of the press were in attendance. I figured as much. My grandfather may have allowed this wedding but under no circumstance will he allow anyone to know that his granddaughter was queer. Other than relatives, close friends, and associates, no one will know.

Yet!

I was expecting to walk the aisle alone but that was not the case. My grandfather walked me up to the altar, shook Mr. Evans's hand as well as Amelia's. He took my hand and placed it in Amelia's then he and Mr. Evans took their seat.

After that, whatever happened next was blurred as I retreated in my head. I don't know how long the actual ceremony took; the next thing I heard was that "I now present to you the newlywed Vasquez-Evans'."

It's done.

I looked at our entwined hands and back to her face. She was all smiles and I was floored. She's working her magic, making all of them believe that this was real and good but if her cold hands were any indication of how she truly felt, I hope regret would come a little later.

You should've walked away, Amelia.

The rest of the evening was spent with toasts, shaking hands and acknowledging the well-wishers. When the evening drew to a close and the last of the guests, Mim, as well as my grandfather had gone, I made my way to the honeymoon suite. I didn't know where Amelia and her parents were. They came and excused themselves after the last of the guests have left.

I keyed my card in and was surprised when the lights were already turned on. I was already sitting on the couch and taking my heels off when I heard a voice in the bedroom. It was only then when I noticed that the bedroom door's ajar.

So Amelia's already here.

I took my time taking the last pair of my heels off when suddenly I heard something hit the wall and break.
Amelia?

My heart raced as I quickly made my way to the bedroom when I heard Mrs. Evans.

"Calm down, Lia. Seth, darling, this is not the place and time for this."

"Your daughter's being hard."

"Hard! Hard is me trying to smile and appear happy greeting family and friends alike back there!"

"Lia—," Mrs. Evans was cut off by her equally angry husband.

"Good thing you're an actress then!"

"Why did you have to drag me into this? Why not Michael?"

Michael? Her half-brother?

"Why me?"

"We've been through this!" Now pacing, Mr. Evans said, "If only Michael was not stupid enough to run off and marry someone else. Yes! It would have been better but it's done and he's gone gallivanting with his wife."

So that's why... It should have been her brother.

I knew my grandfather would never readily suggest me marrying a woman.

"Lia, darling, please let's just try to make this work, ok?"

Work?

Yes, this is pure business with a marriage contract to close the deal.

Mr. Evans is the second-largest shareholder in the company. This union would silence the opposition who's been trying to make my grandfather step down.

"That's easy for you to say, Mother!"

"Amelia!" Mr. Evans shouted. "You should be grateful. You have everything anyone could only hope for but will never have. In the end, you stand to gain everything and nothing to lose."

Nothing to lose?

You just chained your daughter to a loveless marriage that may adversely affect her beloved profession.

"So I should be happy with this arrangement, right?"

"Be grateful, Amelia. You might not just see it right now. But you will."

I heard a crashing sound as another glass has hit the wall and shattered.

"Amelia!" Now, I hear Mrs. Evans crying.

"I should be happy? I have everything anyone could only want but never have? With the money I have and will be having... I guess I should be. But at the end of the day, I will find myself with a stranger. Living the rest of my life with someone who was sold to the highest bidder! Someone who I would never have spared a thought if not for your gold—someone no one would ever love!"

I stood rooted to the ground and could not move. It's true what they say; eavesdroppers would never hear anything good about themselves.

The heart that was barely beating, fluttering desperately to function only as a bare necessity, beat its last and fell —left its hearth and rolled away. I miserably ran after it, along a never-ending corridor, as I heard footsteps coming closer, but alas! Those feet were faster and deadlier as the earlier uttered words of disgust.

Amelia stepped out of the room, shocked to find me there.

I put my finger to my lips, signaling her not to say anything to make my presence known. I turned and left, heading to the balcony, leaving her and her parents there.

There, at the doorway stood Amelia, the murderer, and beneath those feet lay, the murdered victim - my long-dead heart.

I guess regret came sooner than expected, Amelia.