C H A P T E R 17

WHAT LIES BENEATH

AMELIA

A week has passed since the 'cabin'.

A week since my world has tilted on its axis...

When my lover turned his back on me...

When I turned to Ruen...

Why did I do it?

Can I pin it on the alcohol?

"Amelia..."

I took advantage of her—practically forced myself on her.

I didn't need saving. She did.

She needed saving from me...

Despite what happened, not once did she make me feel like a monster that used her.

When we came back home from the cabin after that day, she acted like she usually does. Laughing, smiling, and teasing. She even hugged Tessa tightly, telling her how much she missed having her cooking for the past days. Her attitude towards me never changed too. As if nothing life-altering occurred in the span of those days we spent alone.

As if it never happened.

But it did.

I could still feel the warmth of her body against me when I closed my eyes, the feel of her as I had her in my embrace.

"You are straight! Drunk but straight!"

I know I am. Straight, that is...

That time I was hurt–at my lowest. I clung on to the closest person that could validate me. It just happened to be her.

Maybe that's what it was.

"Don't hate me tomorrow, Amelia."

I don't know how I feel anymore, Ruen.

"Lia!" John shouted loud enough to get my attention, waving his hand too close to my face at the same time. "Are you ok?" He asked as he sat in front of me.

"Yeah." I swallowed. "I'm good."

"Really? Is something bothering you? Did anyone bother you?" He reached for my hand. "You know you can talk to me."

The media frenzy that resulted from the 'Steinfield' drama had affected my work. I was removed from the promo events for the movie because of the scandal. They fear that having me there would overshadow the promotion of the movie. I lost ads and some sponsors. A few decided to keep me only because our contract has not ended.

All covet, all lose.

I wanted him. Only to lose him and more.

Never again will 'love' trick me.

"I'm ok, John." I squeezed his hand in assurance. "So, why are you here. I'm up?"

The only silver lining in this whole mess is this role I was offered. Roger Peterson picked me for a new character in the upcoming season of 'Golden Hour'. I am to play the role of the new heart specialist. Today's the first day of the shoot.

"Yes, 15 minutes." He looked at his watch, holding a finger up. "No. Make that 10 minutes."

We made our way to set. The director and Mr. Peterson introduced me to everyone on the set. I have met my co-stars beforehand and so far, maybe things are looking up.

Hopefully.

* * *
RUEN

"What are you making for the party later?" I pushed the cart alongside Tessa. We're at the supermarket to buy stuff to celebrate Amelia's new TV show.

"All of Lia's favorites, dear." Her hand under her chin, she examined the variety of meat before us.

"We could order up or call a catering service." I picked a pork chop using a tong.

She didn't answer. I put down the meat and turned to her.

"Are you no longer happy with my cooking?" Both her hands on her waist, she regarded me with hurtful eyes.

I handed the cart to Annie, the young woman that sometimes came with her to help in Amelia's house.

"Of course not!" I hooked an arm around hers. "I love eating your home-cooked meals. I just don't want you to tire yourself out preparing for the party. And let's face it, I'm no help. I'd sooner burn the kitchen down."

Finally smiling, she tapped my cheek. "Fret not my dear. That's why I brought Annie along. We won't have you burning anything."

"Definitely not the kitchen." I nodded.

"Especially not yours and Lia's house," Tessa said, laughing. She turned her attention back to the choicest meat before her.

"It's really great having you around." I handed her clear plastic for the meat she picked. "Amelia could use a good and reliable person around."

"She's the child borne out of my heart. She'll always have me." She handed the meat to the vendor. Facing me, she said, "And now, she has you too."

Me?

"Until then, I'll have you."

Yes, she had me.

I remembered her kisses. Hard and commanding but gentle at the same time. Her arms around me as I came—the same arms that held me as I cuddled next to her right after.

"Are you ok, Rue?" Tessa asked. "Your faced is flushed." She put the meat on the cart a little away from the other items.

But I did not have her.

Yet.

"I'm ok." I tried hard not to cup my heated cheeks. "I was—just suddenly remembered that I don't know how many people will join us. Do they have to know about me being her," I whispered, "Wife?"

But she might not want me.

She's straight!

"Until then, I'll have you."

Ok! Maybe not so straight.

She bent. That night, she bent.

More like me bending for her.

"Oh, don't worry. It'll just be us, Rachel, John, and your friend, Miranda."

Good thing we have resumed walking. Tessa can't see my cheeks go redder.

"Miranda's coming too?"

"Yes, Rachel called me yesterday. So you see, it's just dinner between friends. Not a gala. Relax."

"Great!" I blinked trying to adjust my contact lens.

We made our way to the cashier and lined up. We waited as our items were scanned and packed. I paid for it despite Tessa telling me not to.

We bought so much that we had to carry seven grocery bags. I got another cart and, with Annie's help, started loading the bags in it. A bag tore and the goods fell. I struggled to keep the other contents of the bag in.

"Let me help you with that." A woman took the bag from me and deposited it on the cart.

"Thank y—" I couldn't say the word as a lump formed in my throat.

"Fancy meeting you here, Ruen." Those dimples showed as she smiled. She then went on to pick up the other discarded purchases on the ground.

Pin.

"A friend of yours, dear?" Tessa turned to the woman before me. "Is she?"

"Yes." I couldn't form any other coherent words to answer Tessa.

"Nice to meet one of Ruen's friends," Tessa said, smiling.

"I used to mean more than that." She said, her sad remorseful eyes looking down at me. "A long time ago, I must have meant more."

I was frozen.

Everything.