C H A P T E R 24

TREAD LIGHTLY

AMELIA

Following that interview, things seemed to have died down a little. There were still some stories here and there but that's about it, no more paparazzi following Ruen or me around. For now, I enjoyed a quiet afternoon at home.

"What were they thinking? Writing a lesbian plot into the show?" I paced back and forth, as I talked to Rachel on the phone.

"What?... No!... Wait, Rach!"

"Ugh!" Frustrated, I threw the phone away. It hit the wall just as Ruen ducked to avoid it.

"I'm sorry!" I ran to her just as she straightened up.

"We really have to sign up for counseling." I pulled her to the sofa and made her sit. "Anger management, Amelia. Try it. It works." She put her backpack down.

"I'm sorry. Just a bad day at work." I picked up the script from the floor. "Would you like something to eat?"

"Yup. What do we have?" She pulled her feet up.

"Pizza and fries." Her brow raised. "I gave Tessa the time off to visit her daughter. Get changed and meet me in the kitchen."

I went to the kitchen, re-heated four slices, and fried a pack.

I was filling up the glasses with iced tea when she came. "Where do you wanna eat?"

"Here should be fine." She leaned on the kitchen counter. She just stood there and watched as I placed the bowl of fries down.

"Come here and eat." I sat down on the stool. "Are you hungry or what?"

"Yes, I am." She pushed herself off and came to stand in front of me.

Because I was seated, our faces were level. She placed a hand on the back of my neck and another on my shoulder.

Why does she look so sad?

"Are yo- " The words were lost as she suddenly kissed me.

Her hand was on the back of my head, tangled in my hair, and one on my back as she pulled me closer.

"Hmmm... What was that about?"

Not that I'm complaining.

"A taste." She winked and sat beside me.

"Where have you been?" I handed her her plate.

"Main house. Meet with the man." She took a tissue paper and reached for a slice.

"How was it?" I sipped from the glass.

"It was ok." She took a small bite, as the pizza was still too hot.

"Did anything else happen?" I dipped a fry on ketchup.

"Nothing newsworthy." She smiled through a bite.

"Har har!" I poked her ribs as she laughed. She resumed eating and drank water before she finally answered me.

"Guess we're going to dinner with my folks tomorrow." She said nonchalantly.

"Dinner?" I gulp down a fry.

"Mom's back. She wanted to meet you."

Her mom?

"Ok..." I tried to appear as unaffected as she was but I guess I failed.

"Don't worry. We'll just eat and run. Other than meeting your mother-in-law, it's nothing big."