C H A P T E R 19

CAN I HAVE YOU?

AMELIA

"The food was scrumptious!" John leaned back against the chair, one hand held a glass of wine and the other rubbed his full stomach. "Isn't it, Ruen?"

"Yes, delish!" She put her glass of water down. "No less from Tessa." She offered the older woman her warmest smile.

"Oh, you and your compliments. Your own mother's cooking would have topped mine any day."

Miranda choked on her wine.

"She's living abroad so I haven't tasted the food she makes for years now." She handed Miranda a table napkin as hers dropped on the floor. "But, yes, it might be as good as yours."

Might be?

"Can we take this to the living room, please?" Miranda raised her glass of wine as if desperate to change the topic or stop the conversation entirely. "It'd be more comfortable."

Ruen offered Miranda a small smile and a grateful nod. "If that's ok with you, Mim tends to feel sleepy after a good meal."

"Of course, dear. Off you go! We'll just join you after we clean up." Tessa stood and reached for the empty plates.

"I'll help." Rachel reached for the other plates.

"Nonsense." Tessa gently slapped her hand as she tried to take the dishes from her. "Annie and I will take care of this."

"Let us help." I tried to take the dishes off the table but she declined.

"Just do as I say." The old woman stubbornly shooed us away. "Take that bottle of wine and share a good laugh with your friends in the living room."

"Ok. Thank you." I kissed her cheeks and took the wine. "I know better than to argue with you when you're like this. Let's go guys." I headed for the living room with the others.

I put the wine down on the table as Ruen sat on the couch. Miranda and Rachel each sat on an armchair.

Turning to see John head to share the couch with Ruen, who sat alone, I immediately dashed and flopped down next to her.

1-0 in my favor, Johnny!

"Take the stool, John." I laughed, seeing his disappointed face.

"We can squeeze him right in just fine." Ruen scooted to the end of the couch to make room for him.

"Nope. Won't fit." I said, shaking my head, I kept pointing on the stool.

"Come on, Lia." John held onto the stool. "It's wide enough for the three of us."

I kicked my slippers off and put both legs on the couch. "No, it's not." Smirking as I laid my head on Ruen's lap.

2-0!

Time to go home, Johnny!

Miranda laughed out loud. Rachel was quiet, her brow raised as she regarded my comfortable position as I lay on Ruen's lap.

"Wow, why don't you start peeing on her to mark your territory," John mumbled as he came and sat near Miranda.

Mark my territory?

Is that what I'm doing?

"You playing for the other team too, Lia?" Laughing, John poured another glass. "I'm cool with that!"

Am I?

I turned to Rachel only to see her looking back at me waiting for my answer.

I don't know anymore!