C H A P T E R 29

A GLIMPSE BEHIND THE MASK

RUEN

The meeting was grueling. Those power-hungry men decided on a board meeting while my grandfather was away. All because they wanted Mr. Evans, Seth, out before my grandfather could do anything about it.

Sarah didn't want to come and because I was the one who was tied to the agreement, I was sent to defend him in the old man's absence. Right next to me, Simon stood silently.

I sat as Mr. Rogers droned on and on as he built his case against my father-in-law. I looked across the table and saw a red-faced Mr. Evans. Beside him sat a younger man, who I presume to be Michael. He just arrived and was immediately pulled into this circus. I smiled at him when our eyes met.

"His incompetence caused the company to lose money in the past month, I move to vote for Mr. Evans' removal from any executive duties here on out." Mr. Rogers finally said. "Anyone in agreement, please raise your hand, and please say 'aye'."

Everyone did except me, Mr. Evans and his son.

"Majority of the board is in agreement, you are relieved of your duties." Mr. Elridge, Rogers croony, said.

Mr. Evans turned to me for help. I tapped my pen on the table to get everyone's attention.

"Let us not get ahead of ourselves. Please calm down— "

"Stay out of this, young girl." Elridge unceremoniously cut me off. "You have no say in the matter."

I ignored him. "I heard your case, Mr. Rogers. I see your point. But, those things were unavoidable. Calculated risks were taken in the expansion. Nonetheless, calculated as it may be, it is still a big risk. The loss was collateral damage."

"What do you know?" Elridge butted in. "You don't know anything about the business."

"Excuse me for saying this, Ms. Vasquez or should I say: Mrs. Evans," Rogers said Evans with emphasis. "I don't think you can be objective enough on this matter."

"Keep your head down, girl. You are in the big men's world." Elridge gloated.

Pompous Jerks!
Bigots!

I see all the others nod in agreement.

"Just go home and play house with your wife," Elridge added, his voice laced with derision.

At that, Mr. Evans tried to stand and go after Elridge. Fortunately, Michael was quick in holding his father down.

"Give it your best Evans." Elridge goaded. Rogers shot a contemptuous smirk at Mr. Evans. "Despite your efforts in marrying off your child, you are going down!"

Everyone murmured in assent.

I've heard enough!

Seeing red, I took the glass in front of me and slammed it down hard on the table. The room quietened as the sound of glass breaking rose above the din.

"I am here presiding over in place of my grandfather, Elridge. I patiently waited and heard your arguments." I looked him dead in the eyes.

He just scoffed at me. "You know nothing about the company."

"Simon, please take her out and tend to her wounds," Rogers commanded him and dismissing me.

Compared to Mr. Vasquez, you are scums playing yourselves pathetically as the big men.

"Stay where you are, Simon. You don't answer to him." I calmly said.

I took my handkerchief and started pulling off the shards of glass that embedded in my hand. Satisfied that I got every piece off, I stared down every member of the board until they cast their arrogant eyes down. Only Rogers and Elridge dared to take me on.