C H A P T E R 10

UNDER THE LIGHT OF THE MOON

AMELIA

It was past 3 am when I arrived home. I thanked John, waved goodbye, and went inside the house.

I never liked having stay-in helpers. I may not spend much time in the house these past few weeks but when I do, I liked what little privacy I have too much to allow it to be taken even in the comfort of my own home. Besides, Tessa, my nanny, always dropped by to clean twice a week when I'm off to work, sometimes when I have days off. There was no need to employ another.

I walk the hallway to my room, laid on my bed, and quickly fell asleep, only to wake up disoriented moments later. It was 4:01 am. I settled back on the pillow when I suddenly heard a scream.

Sleep finally left me. I immediately stood up and ran in the direction of the noise.

Ruen!

Her room was just across mine.

I opened the door to find her writhing on her bed. She was having a nightmare.

I tried waking her up to no avail. Hands on her shoulders trying to shake her awake, I was suddenly pulled to an embrace.

"Too late."

"What?"

"... came too late..." She mumbled against my neck.

I pulled back to see if she's awake.

She wasn't.

Trying to extricate myself from her hold, only to find myself on my back, head against the pillow, and with Ruen snuggling close to me.

Ok. Sleep is for the weak anyway.

Resigned, I laid back on her bed. Looking around, I saw that she had the sliding door open with a perfect view of the moon illuminating her room.

Doesn't she know that it's dangerous to leave a door open?

I looked back at her hair-covered face.

Tomorrow, I'll tell you.

I moved the stray strands of hair covering Ruen's face and tucked them behind her ear. Her eyes, no longer hidden behind her glasses, were closed peacefully in her sleep.

"What are you dreaming about now?"

Sighing, sleep finally took me... with the memory of her arm across my stomach and the feel of her as she pulled me closer.

* * *

"Hhhmmm..." contently settled between warm sheets, I stretched. I opened my eyes to find amused brown eyes looking back at me.

It took me a moment to realize where I was and to whom those twinkling brown eyes belonged.

Ruen lay beside me, body facing mine. Her head propped against her elbow.

"Morning." She greeted me with her sleep-raspy voice.

It's a crime to look so beautiful after just waking up.

I quickly shot up and ran to the bathroom.

I looked at myself in the mirror and combed my bed head using my hands. When I went back out, Ruen was drinking a glass of water.

She was wearing matching jammies. Her long black wavy hair down.

"Good morning," returning her greeting earlier.

"Water?" She said handing another glass to me.

I took it and drank.

She sat on her bed looking at me.