C H A P T E R 15

SO CLOSE

AMELIA

"No more... I can't take it anymore..." Gasping and her face flushed, Ruen reached for me and held on.

Bending close to whisper to her ear, "Just a little more... come, babe..." I said, equally out of breath as well.

She pleaded and tightened her hold trying to steady her breathing. "Please... Amelia, I... I don't think I can... it's too much."

You made me do this! You kept pushing and pushing, Ruen.

"You... you wanted this, right?" I cupped her face with both of my hands.

Couldn't take what you dish out, eh?

"Yes... Yes, I did... I still do want to but..." she said, close to tears now.

Seeing her looking like that makes me want to tease her more.

'Guess payback's such a bitch, babe!

"You wanted us to do this... are you gonna leave me hanging?" Wiping the sweat that trickled to her brows using my thumbs, I looked into her eyes.

"I..." she gulped.

Lost for words, smart mouth?

"Do you want to stop and—" I removed my hands from her face.

"No!" she said, shaking her head in determination, "... almost there... keep going..."

"Good girl." I tapped her nose. "Come now!"

Taking her hand in mine, we walked the remaining distance slowly.

"This is amazing, Amelia!" She exclaimed as we reached the clearing.

"Hey, careful!" I called after her as she ran to the edge of the water, discarding her shoes along the way.

I grabbed her rucksack and placed it on the boulder next to mine. When I looked back up, I saw her wading towards a rock slab.

Earlier, after the others have left, she kept pestering me into doing something while we're stuck here. Remembering that there's a waterfall a few kilometers away, I suggested we hike to see it.

We prepared for an hour. I looked for clothes that she could use from the bag that Rachel brought for me and from the dressers in the rooms while she searched the van for shoes suitable for the long walk. I found tights and a shirt for her from one of the dressers as she came back with a pair of shoes that she left in the van.

I pulled out a blanket and placed it on the ground. Kicking my shoes off, I reclined against the boulder and closed my eyes.

When I awoke, I reached for a water bottle. I must have dozed off longer than I thought because my neck was sore. I stood up and looked towards the falls, not seeing her.

Where is she?

Taking a sip from the bottle, I felt well enough to try the waters. I took my shirt off.

Lucky me because Rachel managed to pack a suit in the bag. She knew I loved swimming. It's the main reason I bought the cabin where the waterfall was closer.

I was about to step in the water when I saw her floating, her face up. Her eyes were closed.

"Ruen!" I called her a few more times. She did not stir.

She knows how to swim, does she?

I made my way towards her.

"Ruen!" I called her again, this time the water level was a little above my chest.

The water's deeper on this side. If she were standing here, the water would almost be on her neck level.

Neck level?

From where I was to where she was floating, the ground's lower.

"Ruen!" I called her name again, panicked.

Did she drown while I slept?

A feeling of dread settled on my stomach.

Please, no!

I dove and swam the distance to get to her quickly.

Please be ok. Please be ok.

I'm coming, Ruen.

I reached her and took her in my arms as I pulled her towards the rock slab.

I laid her on it. She's still not moving. With my worst fear coming to life, I lost my head.

Seeing her body lying on the rock, I lost it and just pulled her into my arms as I cried.

"Hey, what's wrong, Amelia?" A sleepy voice asked.

I pulled away to see brown eyes staring back at me in concern. I stopped crying and let her up.

"What's wrong?" She asked as she sat upright.

What's wrong? I thought you'd died!

My anguish was replaced by anger. Hot anger.

"That was not funny, Ruen!" I yelled at her. "Not funny at all. I've had enough of your jokes!"

"I'm sorry. Amelia?"

I couldn't stand hearing another word from her so I jumped off the rock and swam away from her.

Stupid! I should have checked her pulse.

Stupid girl!

I reached the bank and went straight for my shoes and bag.

Crazy! Why did I even fall for it!

I was done tying my shoes and was about to leave when she reached land.

Not looking at her, I picked up the blanket and put it inside the bag.

"Amelia! I'm sorry!"

I heard her say as I walked away from her and followed the trail back. Not caring if she was following or not, I walked faster.

How dare she make a joke out of drowning!

I was still fuming mad when I came back to the cabin in the afternoon.

I opened the door, headed straight to the bathroom, and took a quick shower. I went to my room and locked the door to change.

Now that there's only the two of us here, there's no need to share a room. I'll be staying in the same room while she stays in the room where Rachel and Miranda slept.

A knock came while I was changing.

"Amelia, I'm really sorry I fell asleep out in the water." She said through the closed door.

Did you sleep while floating on the water? Oh please!

I did not open the door nor did I answer. I just kept on drying my hair.

"I didn't mean to scare you." She said, "Can we please talk?"

I kept my mouth shut and ignored her.

It was quiet for a few minutes that I thought she already left but another knock came.

"I'm really sorry to ruin the day. We—" she sighed. "We almost had a great time."

Almost.

We almost did.