C H A P T E R 18

WHY?

RUEN

'A long time ago, I must have meant more.'

"I, uhm—" I cleared my throat. "Tessa, meet Pin. Pin, Tessa, and Annie."

"A pleasure to meet you." She shook Tessa and Annie's hands in greeting.

"You too."

"I'll help you out." Pin took the handlebar, about to wheel the cart to exit the supermarket.

"No, thank you." I grabbed onto the handle to stop her. "I can do that."

"Ruen -" She stopped and looked down, unable to continue talking.

My gaze followed and locked on my hand that's on top of hers. I immediately removed my hand, stepping away from her as if I was shocked.

"Don't be like that." Her eyes cast down; she bit her bottom lip.

"Sorry," I said stepping closer.

"Annie can take the cart." Tessa motioned for Annie, who took the cart from Pin. She chose to ignore and not comment, looking at Pin and back to me sensing the awkwardness between us.

"I'll walk out with you." She told Tessa, who moved to follow Annie.

We walked a few steps behind them. Pin, throwing glances my way, was quiet as we walked to my car.

I opened the trunk, took the first bag from Annie, and put it inside. At that point, Pin was no longer around.

Good thing she left already.

I closed the trunk after putting five bags inside. The rest would have to be in the backseat.

I was opening the front passenger door for Tessa when a car stopped in front of mine, blocking my car's exit.

Pin stepped out of the car and came jogging towards us.

"Can we talk, Ruen?" She turned to Tessa. "Can I borrow her for a while?"

"No. We're in a hurry," I told her, my tone making it clear that I don't want to.

Beep Beeepp

An approaching car honked seeing Pin's car on the path.

"Please."

What more do you want?

Beep Beeeepppp Beeeeppp

Tessa took my car key and gave it to Annie. "Annie can drive us back."

"But..."

"It's ok." She turned to Pin. "I'll have to trouble you to drive her back home after."

Tessa gently pushed me towards Pin.

"I'll take a cab ride back," I told her.

"Thank you." Her hand on my back, Pin guided me to her car and closed the door when I settled inside.

What am I doing?

We stopped in front of a café. She parked and stepped out of the car.

I took a deep breath before getting out.

Why am I even here?

She held the door open for me and entered after I did. We sat and waited as someone came to take our order.

"Hot choco with rice crispies?"

"Yes, thank you."

She remembered...