C H A P T E R 12

UNVEILING HALF-TRUTHS

AMELIA

We were meters away from the mob of raving media men when John's phone rang. Seconds later, he put the phone on speaker.

"Where are you now? Are you safe?" Rachel's concerned voice came up.

"We got away safely. What's happening Rachel?"

"The media hailstorm I warned you about, Lia! That's what."

"What do you mean?"

"I'll tell you later. For now, you can't go home. Several them have gathered outside of your house right now. You have to get to a safer place."

"Where is safe from those rabid dogs?"

"Remember the summer cabin just out of town that you purchased two years ago. I'll meet you there."

The call ended and I was left dumbfounded.

"Rachel's texted the address. Can you help get us there please?" John asked the driver.

It was only then that I acknowledged the presence of the two other people inside the van. The pianist was driving the car while the violinist was seated on my left.

"We won't impose. You can just drop us a few more blocks away from here. We'll hail a cab and get there on our own."

The van stopped at the red light.

"And what? Risk being found out because the cab driver recognized you?" The woman manning the wheels removed her mask and threw it on the passenger seat.

Looking at her reflection on the rearview mirror, I can't help but think that she looked vaguely familiar.

"I'll drive you there."

"Thank you!" John exclaimed in relief and told her the address. After keying in the destination, John, like Lia, turned off his phone as it continued to ring as texts and calls flooded.

What the hell is going on?

We drove for two hours. About six more kilometers from our destination, the car stopped in front of a gas station.

"I'll just gas up." She turned the ignition off and turned to John. "You get food and supplies from the store; I will fill the tank. I'll meet you inside when I'm done."

"The two of you just stay here," John said as they left the car.

Sighing, I leaned back on the car seat. I reclined the seat to relax when suddenly something or rather someone slid on my shoulder.

It was the violinist. Still wearing her mask, she has fallen asleep. Since we were sitting on a two-seater seat, she moved when I adjusted it.

I thought of waking her up but decided against it. Tired, I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

* * *

When I came to my senses, the van pulled in front of the cabin and John opened the door. Another car was parked beside ours. I lifted the woman's head off my shoulder, making it so that she comfortably leaned against the van window.

The cabin door opened just as I stepped off the car. I was enveloped into a hug.

"I was starting to worry when I didn't find you here." Rachel said, finally letting me go. Dragging me inside, she made me sit on the couch.

"What's happened, Rachel?"

Unsure of what to say, she stalled for a moment but was interrupted by John.

"Steinfield's wife is pregnant."

Pregnant?

"That's another lie the press has made up... He... she can't be!"

"Damn it, it's true, Lia. Every news channel was making a field day out of it when they confirmed it tonight."

"I saw the news when we bought the food from the convenience store by the gas station." Said an equally angry John. "That spineless prick said he was happy and vowed to make amends and 'never stray again'."

"He was gonna divorce her. That can't be—"

"Face it, Lia. That bastard strung you along!"

"He loves me!"

"The fuck he does, Lia." Rachel said, throwing the tablet on the couch as the video played. "The only man in love I see right there is saying how much he loves his wife!"

I watched it.

"Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Steinfield. In the light of this pregnancy issue, what do you intend to do with your relationship with Ms. Evans?"

"Are you gonna keep seeing her or has it already ended?"

"There's nothing to end. We have no relationship. I made a mistake. A mistake any married man at some point makes... my wife and I are making a new start as..."

I've heard enough. I was so angry that I sent the tab flying across the room.

"I'm so sorry, Lia." Rachel clasped both of my hands in hers.

"He fooled me and I fell for it! Hook, line, and sinker!"

"Yes, he did!" Rachel said, holding my hands tighter. "But you'll be the bigger fool if you allow to him destroy you like this."

At this, I cried. Rachel sat on the couch and held me as I did.

"I'm gonna beat him to a pulp when I see him!" An angry John paced in front of us. "That bastard!"

I cried my heart out for a while. When I've stopped, Rachel wiped my tears and looked me in the eye, "Don't let him break you, Lia. He's not worth it."

I nodded at her. Finally getting hold of my emotions, I willed my self to be strong. "Damn right, he isn't!"

"That's the Lia I know." Rachel said, smiling.

I won't let him do this to me anymore. That cheating lying bastard will get what's coming for him and more.

"Thank goodness for waterproof mascara because other than feeling like a fool, I would have looked like it too if it has smeared," I said trying to lighten the mood.

"You would have still looked beautiful." A female voice said.

The still masked woman was standing in the doorway holding a bag of food and beside her stood the woman who drove us here.

"They're the ones who helped us get out of there in one piece," John said, taking the bags of food from them as they approached us.

"Thank you so much for your help," I said.

Rachel stood up and shook their hands in thanks. "It's almost 1 am. You stay here and rest. You can drive home tomorrow."

"I can drive back now, it's ok. I'm Miranda by the way..." The pianist said. "But I'm afraid my friend has to stay here with you." Pointing to her friend.

"There happens to be a dozen pack of hungry press camped out at home." The violinist removed her mask and smiled at me. "Guess I'm staying here too."