C H A P T E R 26

LIKE AIR

AMELIA

Sabrina's eighteenth birthday is tomorrow. For some reason, Ruen doesn't want to celebrate with her family. Even when her sister has personally invited us, she just gave a noncommittal shrug.

It's weird. She's family, she should be there. Invitations are not required.

However, she was adamant about not going.

"For the umpteenth time, I don't want to go." Eyes fixed on the tv screen, Ruen laid her head on my lap.

"Why not? It's your sister's debut." I ran my hands on her hair. "You have to be there. You're family."

"Uhmmm." She just closed her eyes, enjoying the feel of my caress. It looked like she was about to fall into sleep.

I shook her shoulders to wake her. "It's an important event, Ruen. One that shouldn't be missed."

"Uhmmm." She put a hand over my hand that was on her shoulder. Pulling my hand to her face, she just ignored what I said.

"Why do I feel like you don't want to be around your sister? Every time she's here, you barely talk to her. You don't even want to spend time with her." I focused on the movie but not really understanding the scene.

Both Sabrina and Sarah has asked my help in convincing Ruen to come. As far as things are right now, I don't see her changing her mind.

What do I do?

Unless...

"If you come with me tomorrow night, I will do whatever you want." I coaxed her.

Hearing this, her eyes flew open and she slowly turned and faced me. She was not sure if I was joking.

"Anything you want," I emphasized as I ran a finger from the tip of her nose and down to her lips. My finger lingering on her bottom lip, she sucked in a breath and slightly parted her lips.

I am going to hell for this.

This is pure manipulation. I knew the effect I had on her and I was using it to my advantage.

"Why is it important that I go, Amelia. It's not like the party won't push through in my absence." She took my hand from her lips and brought it down to her chest.

I could feel her heart beating.

"Spend time with them."

She remained quiet and slowly closed her eyes again.

"They want you to be there."

"But I don't want to be there." She tightened her grip on my hand. "I'd rather spend the day tomorrow going to a zoo, a museum? Anywhere. Just the two of us. Amelia, let's have fun enjoying what normal married people do."

Like married people.

"But we're not like other people, Ruen," I told her.

"We could be. If you allow us to be." Her eyes still closed.

We could be?

What is she getting at? Is she implying we stay together for real?

"You want to make this marriage real?"

"In the truest sense of the word, yes." She calmly said.

I couldn't stop the feeling of being trapped. I stiffened.

"Why?" I worked the word through my dry throat.

"I want you." She laid on her back.

Want me?