C H A P T E R 31

TOMORROW, MAYBE...

RUEN

"Sshhh, it's ok." I pulled her to me. "It will be ok, Amelia."

Kissing the side of her head, I kept telling her it will be alright. This woman who always seemed so well put together was falling apart before my very eyes.

She drew a line and built up the walls but the line was crossed and the walls started to crumble. When it did, the order and control that she thought she established in our arrangement disappeared. Sex, she could handle but the emotions that came with it frightened the life out of her.

All because she was feeling things she never thought she ever would for a woman.

"Are you hungry?" I asked her. She shook her head no. "Would you like me to get you home now?"

"No. Not yet, please." Her voice was hoarse.

I reached for a bottle of water and gave it to her. "Drink, Amelia."

She only managed to take a few sips then she gave me the bottle back. I helped her stand and led her inside the tent. I took her shoes off and did the same with mine then I made her settle down under the blanket. Dimming the camp light and with her back facing me, I laid on top of the blanket next to her.

"Close your eyes and get some rest." I hugged her from behind. I felt her body shake as she tried her best to stifle her sobs. I wanted to weep with her but I couldn't.

We stayed like that for more than an hour. Once her breathing has evened out, I propped my head on my elbow and watched her sleep.

"It'll be better tomorrow. I promise." I leaned down and kissed her temple.

Am really that difficult to love?

There must really be something wrong with me, Mim.

"I love you, Amelia."

* * *

AMELIA

We were home early the next morning. Ruen acted like she always does. She did her best to make light of the situation to make me comfortable so it wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be after I broke down last night.

"What would you like for breakfast, Lia?" Tessa asked me before I went upstairs.

"The usual, nan. I'll take it with a strong cup of coffee." I turned to Ruen. "You?"

"I'll take a double cup of hot chocolate, Tessa." She grinned at the older woman.

I got inside my room and went straight for the shower. I walked out of the bathroom refreshed and fully dressed. Sitting in front of the mirror, I started to blow dry my hair. Minutes later, a video call came in so I turned the drier off.

"Heya, Sis!" Michael called out.

"So you're still alive Mike."

"And kicking!"

"Where's the wife? How is she? Is she regretting marrying you?" I asked him.

"Ha ha ha! Listen to me and never try for comedy, Lia."

I laughed at that. "Seriously though, how is married life treating you?"

"Wonderful! Becca's a little under the weather but the good news is that you'll be welcoming your niece and nephew early next year." He happily announced.

"Twins! Mike, that's great. Congratulations! Send my regards to Becca."

Michael was living the life I've always wished for. He's going to have a family of his own.