C H A P T E R 5

PRIVILEGES OF A GILDED CAGE?

RUEN

After meeting with Mrs. Evans for the final touches on my wedding gown, we decided to have lunch in an Italian resto a block away. While we were looking at the menu, she informed me that Amelia would be joining us. True enough, Amelia arrived within minutes. She bent and kissed her mother's cheeks and, to my utter surprise, she did the same to me. I glanced her way as she sat beside her mother.

"You guys had a good time?" she asked.

"Oh, yes dear. You should have seen Ruen in that dress. She was stunning!" Mrs. Evans exclaimed.

"Her beauty was never in question. The dress must have merely added to it," Amelia said, her eyes shining with amusement.

'You may have charmed your way in the entertainment industry but I'd never let you get the best of me, Amelia.'

My grey slacks and baby blue dress shirt, make-up free face, bun-tied hair, and big-rimmed glasses must have really turned her on.

'Yeah, right!'

Compared to the ever-immaculate fair goddess, Amelia, who, as always, was dressed to kill, I look and feel like an awkward geek.

"Thank you," I said.

"It's no big deal. I'm only calling it as I see it," she grinned before she took a bite from her food that was growing cold.

I stopped eating and regarded her with wary eyes, "What do you see exactly?"

Her blue eyes shone in interest as she said, "A beautiful woman in front of me."

As if she had to say those words to pacify me, as if she had to because she felt I needed to hear a compliment—every word reeked with insincerity. I just reminded myself that we didn't know each other well enough so I shouldn't take it to heart for anyone could spout lies to get whatever they want.

I had nothing to say so I just brought my attention back to lunch. Eating quietly, I just listened in as Mrs. Evans and her daughter talked.

"Lia, will you be able to get off work and enjoy your honeymoon? I've been considering booking a wonderful beach resort as a wedding gift?" Mrs. Evans asked. "I'm sure Ruen would want to unwind and get together with you after your wedding."

"I'd love to but sadly with the movie and the upcoming promo, I can't get away."

"But it's your honeymoon!" Mrs. Evans exclaimed as if it was extremely important. It was the honeymoon to bride the sprung on her like she couldn't manage to get herself hitched with their help.

It would have been. Only if it was something she wantedsomething she would look forward to with someone she loves. However, in this situation, it's definitely none of those.

"I'm really sorry. My schedule is packed for the next few months but we could set up something after, Ruen?"

"Sure, fine by me. It's a previous engagement you have agreed to. I will not ask you to compromise."

"I'm really sorry about this, Ruen. My daughter is just—" Mrs. Evans, at a loss for words, could only reach across the table and squeeze my hand.

To mollify Mrs. Evans, I said, "There's nothing to be sorry for. I know it's important for Amelia. We would not be enjoying ourselves there if something's weighing on her mind."

"It would be better if we take off when she's free. We could enjoy and relax all we want without pressing matters at hand to get back to." Having heard me, Mrs. Evans was no longer worried about offending Mr. Vasquez's granddaughter, smiled and ate.

Lunch ended and Mrs. Evans excused herself, leaving Amelia and me to spend time together. We walked to her car in awkward silence. Since Simon was the one who drove me to meet with Mrs. Evans, again, I found myself at Amelia's mercy to bring me back home as they planned.

"Thank you for backing me up in there."

"Think nothing of it," I said.

She was about to say something else when her phone rang. She excused herself and answered the call. When it ended, she told me, "Ruen, I'm really sorry. Something came up and I have to rush back to the set for re-shooting."

"Ok, sure. I'll take a cab so don't have to drive me home."

Discerning whether she should take me home before rushing there or not, she finally said, "I can't do that. Mom told me that I should never make you go home alone."

"Why? I'm perfectly capable of getting myself home."

"I just can't. I'll call Simon so that he could come and get you."

I realized it late. They're afraid I'd disappear so grandfather might have ordered that I couldn't drive or go out by myself.

"We're losing time discussing this and you have to rush back to work. Simon would take long just to get here."

"Hmm, ok well, how about you come with me to the set? I'll just have to re-take one scene and when it's done, we could spend the rest of the day doing whatever you want?" she asked.

'Doing what I want? I want to run away from here, from this mess of an arrangement. Can I?'

"Ok, if you think it best," I said.

"Great!" she started her car and drove us to her world of spotlights and intruding cameras.