C H A P T E R 13

STARTING AGAIN

AMELIA

"Ruen!"

"Wait, what? Your wife?" Rachel turned to me for confirmation.

"Whose wife?" John asked, confused.

"Lia's."

The woman in question sat on the couch, taking her heels off, "Mim, just get some sleep here before you leave. It's a long drive back."

All of us were standing, apart from her, who sat relaxed and comfortable.

Mim, Miranda, her best friend that I met at the wedding.

The pianist!

"Mind if I sit?" Miranda asked me then looked at her friend with doting eyes. "Only 'I' seem to still have my manners intact." She sat when I nodded in assent. I turned my attention back to the woman always managed to wind me revelations.

She's the violinist. For real?

This woman never fails to surprise me.

"Hi, I'm Rachel. Nice to finally meet you." My friend introduced herself, "I'm Lia's manager. This is John her PA."

Ruen greeted them, "Hiya, John. We've met again. Hello, Rachel. I guess I'm 'the wife'."

"In the flesh!" Rachel said, amused.

"Her wife?"

"Rachel!"

John and I shouted at the same time.

"You married her?" John exclaimed, moving me to face him.

"Yes, I'm married to a woman, John," I told him. I tried to say more but he wouldn't let me.

"Not just any woman, Lia!" He let go of me and kneeled in front of Ruen, taking her right hand in his. "You're married to 'her'."

He was gazing at her, mesmerized, and rubbing her hand tenderly.

I wanted to yank him away from her and kick him in the gut for touching her like that.

Whoa! Where did that come from?

"You're so sweet." Ruen fondly smiled at him.

What the—?

Is she batting for both teams?

I glared at them.

With a serious voice, she bent closer to John and said, "But you should let me go before Amelia skins you alive." She patted his cheek with her left hand.

Having said this, Rachel, John, and Miranda turned to look at me.

John immediately dropped Ruen's hand as if afraid I'd physically harm him.

Miranda covering her mouth with her hand as if trying not to laugh.

Rachel, who I expected to be laughing louder than everyone here, just looked as if she has just realized something I didn't.

"What?" I asked facing Rachel.

"Nothing." She said and laughed.

"I was just admiring Ruen." He said, standing up now.

Well, you could admire her at a safe distance of fifty meters and keep your hands to yourself!

What's gotten into me?

"I am a fan, you know." He said, placing his hand on Ruen's shoulder.

Her bare shoulder!