C H A P T E R 16

THE DANGER OF FREE FALLING

AMELIA

I slept for the rest of the day yesterday. My stomach growled in protest making known its displeasure in skipping lunch and dinner.

It's 6 am when I made it out of bed. I found my bag on the couch. Remembering to throw away the uneaten lunch that I packed for the hike, I brought the bag to the kitchen.

After eating and with nothing to do, I decided to take a walk outside.

I came back hours later, still no sign of Ruen.

Great! Some peace and quiet.

I went out to buy groceries for today. Wearing a disguise, I drove to the nearest store within miles. I bought food to last at least two more days if Rachel makes us stay longer than intended. I also bought two dozen of beer.

While in the store and lining up to pay, another story about Steinfield and me ran through the news, making me look and feel like a low life harlot for weaseling my way into a 'happily married couple's' lives.

"The dangers of a beautiful face and an empty head..." The old man on the register said, "She could have had anyone else."

He continued scanning my purchase.

"She could. No doubt about that."

"But not a married man!" He exclaimed looking at me.

Definitely not a married man.

"Such a pity. She should have known better." He added as he took the money that I handed him.

She should have...

"Keep the change," I said, grabbing the bags and walking briskly outside.

I drove the way back in silence. Once in the safety of the lonely road to the cabin, I stopped. I took a can of beer and downed it in one go.

Remembering how he tried to persuade me into hiding and laying low.

"Let's stop meeting like this for now." He kissed my hand softly.

"Why? Did I do anything wrong?" I stood, angrily staring at him. "Are you getting back with her?"

"No! Never!" He pulled me into his arms. "I am serving her the divorce papers. When it pushes through, I just don't want her to have something against me."

"How long?"

"I don't know... the sooner it ends And when it ends, you and I will be together just the way it should have been."

That was just two months ago!

"Took you long enough to get back with her!" I hit the wheels harder and harder until my hands were sore.

Yes, it ended alright!

Just the way it should

It was quarter to five when I arrived back. It's still as quiet as I left it. Ruen was still not out. I wanted to look inside the room but stopped myself short of pushing the door wide open. There's nothing I'd like to say to her right now, we might as well leave each other alone.

I headed to the kitchen and placed the bags on the table. Besides, judging by the unwashed plates in the sink, she's not starving herself.

Petty entitled brat!

Couldn't even clean up after herself!

Having finished half a dozen of beer on my way here, I took the rest back in the living room and sat in front of the fireplace. I knew it's too warm to light the fireplace but a chill has settled inside me.