C H A P T E R 4

GONE ONCE, GONE TWICE, SOLD!

RUEN

It was a quarter to six when the car stopped in front of the restaurant and only less than a minute when the car door opened for me. Ignoring Simon's outstretched hand, I let myself out of the car. Whether Simon was embarrassed or irked, I did not know for he hid it well. He turned and led the way inside.

In a matter of minutes, I silently seated myself as I waited for my grandfather and his guests to arrive. As Simon left to check if everything was in order, a waiter approached.

"Is there anything you want, ma'am?" he asked.

'A way out... a new life? I don't think I'm ready for this one.'

"Just water, please," paying no heed to scared little girl in my head, I did my best to smile.

Half an hour has passed when the door finally opened and Simon walked in. A middle-aged couple accompanied him. The man who appeared to be ten years younger than my grandfather was looked dignified but every inch as intimidating. He had his hand in the lower back of his wife who was smiling as she watched her husband interact with Simon.

'Mask in place. Take a deep breath... Never let them see.'

I stood up in a time when they reached our table and Simon made the introductions.

"This is Mr. Seth Evans and his wife, Mrs. Rosaline Evans. Miss Vasquez." Simon said gesturing to me.

Miss Vasquez?

How I hated the name.

Presenting my best mask, I shook Mr. Evans's hand, "I am Ruen Vasquez. It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Evans," turning to his wife, I offered the same, "and Mrs. Evans."

"The pleasure is all ours, Ruen," Mrs. Evans said.

We took our places by the table as Simon explained that last-minute meeting held my grandfather back but he would be joining us after dinner

"Oh, it's fine. Work got my daughter running late for tonight too." Mr. Evans said apologetically.

As if on cue, Mrs. Evans's phone rang. She excused herself and answered the phone. While she was gone, Mr. Evans and I talked. He told me about his daughter who graduated in business administration but sadly, according to him, she chose to be an actress instead of taking over their family business.

"She's got her mother's beauty and my strength of character," he said, smiling proudly, "I hope you'll like each other. Get to know each other before the wedding."

'What wedding?'

Hearing this, I looked at Simon who averted his eyes.

'So' this is what it's all aboutmy grandfather has finally found a good use for his 'abnormal' granddaughter.'

Before anyone else cleared things up, Mrs. Evans was back moments later as the waiters served the entrée. However, she was not alone. Walking beside her was a woman in her late 20's or early 30's. Her blonde hair fell a little below her shoulders and her black knee-length dress brought out her striking pale blue eyes. She looked familiar and I did know why.

"There she is!" Mr. Evans said as they approached our table. He stood to greet his daughter and I followed suit knowing that introductions were in order as I was supposed to spend the remaining days of my wretched existence with her. Grandfather commanded it and I had to obey.

I could be miserable on my own but I wouldn't mind being miserable with you.

Pale blue eyes locked on mine as Mrs. Evans said, "Ruen, dear, this is my daughter, Amelia."