C H A P T E R 6

FINDING A COMMON GROUND

RUEN

When we arrived at the studio, Amelia was immediately taken away to prepare for the scene. She wanted me wait her dressing room but I preferred to stand in the corner as she prepared for her scene. Minutes later, she came back ready.

I watched her as she transformed into someone else entirely. She plays the cop who was set-up by her partner in this movie. In this scene, she was cuffed and being interrogated. Even with the fake gash that runs under her left eye, the bruises, and the dried blood on her face, she was striking.

It was by the third take that someone came up to me and introduced himself.

"Hi." I shook his hand.

"I'm Lia—Amelia's PA. Can I get you anything?"

"Oh, pleased to meet you, John. It's alright, I'm good, but could you tell me where the restroom is?"

"Sure. I'll take you there."

We left the set. I was about to enter when he excused himself because he was called back. He left after I assured him that I know the way to the studio.

After I've freshened up, I took the same way back to where Amelia was shooting. On my way there, I saw a woman carrying two big plastic bags of packed snacks and another big box. I rushed to steady her as she was about to fall.

"Thanks," she said.

"Let me help you," I took the plastic bags from her.

"You don't have to but thank you very much," she gratefully accepted. "My name's Ellie. Are you new here?"

Relieved that she seems to be going in the studio where Amelia's shooting, I introduced myself.

"Are you a new staff or another PA?" she asks.

"No, I'm just a visitor." We entered and put the bags on the table. "Why are you carrying so much?"

"Since this is an emergency re-shoot no food was prepared on time. Decent meals could only arrive later at five. Everyone gets cranky when running on empty stomachs so I had to run and get these to save everyone from the nightmare of last-minute changes. You won't believe how rowdy it could get when they don't get their fill," she mischievously said.

"Wow, you're doing great here, Ellie." I playfully said.

"So, who brought you here, Ruen?" I looked to where Amelia was. Ellie was mortified when she realized I was with Amelia. "Oh my goodness, you're Ms. Evan's little friend and I made you carry these for me!"

FriendWas I one?

"Don't worry about it. My five-foot height could take it." I reassured her.

"You're five foot? Wow, and here I thought you were six feet tall," she joked. Ellie was inches shorter than Amelia's five foot ten, with short brown curly hair and a contagious smile.

"Hey! No making fun of the vertically challenged," I chuckled although I was always sensitive about my stunted growth.

Time flew by as we talked. Amelia finished her scenes and went to change earlier. A prop fell while being set up. Caught up in our conversation, neither Ellie nor I avoided it in time. It happened so fast that one second, I was standing then next thing I knew, I woke up and found myself on the floor. My head and my left shoulder hurt. In the midst of all the noise and concerned onlookers, I heard Amelia shouting.

"Let me through, damn it!" Amelia shoved her way to get to me and knelt on the floor. "Rue—Ruen?" She touched my cheeks, concern marring her beautiful face.

"Amelia?"

"Where else do you hurt, Ruen? Tell me," she implored. Disoriented, I tried to tell her that I'm fine but I found myself succumbing to the darkness, comforted only by her gentle caress.

When I next regained consciousness, I was lying on a makeshift bed with a medic beside me attending to my wounded head. In the distance, I could hear Amelia reprimanding a couple of men as John struggled to calm her.

Seeing that I was already awake, the medic called for Amelia. She ran to where I lay and held my hand as she knelt beside me.

"Hey, are you feeling better?" she asked.

"A little better," I lied. If the feeling of the crushing throbbing of my head was anything to go by, I was definitely not okay. However, I was about to admit that to her. I couldn't shake the feeling of tenderness I received from her earlier.

"We're going to the hospital just to be sure, ok?"

"No, I'm fine. A tiny wound won't do me in."

Disregarding what I said, Amelia turned to the medic, telling him to prepare for transporting me to the hospital.

I didn't want to gonot another step in a hospital, please!

I was more likely to pass out because of embarrassment and fear than my aching head. I squeezed Amelia's hand and hoped she'd understand, "I don't want to go to the hospital. Just take me home, please."

She looked at my face. I didn't know what she saw when she looked at me but she finally relented, "Ok."

* * *

I woke up with a gentle hand on my arm shaking me awake. When I finally blinked off the sleepiness, I found myself gazing at a gorgeous pair of pale blue eyes.

"We're here."

Sure enough, we were in the parking lot of the building where I was currently staying with Mim.

"I'll help you out." Leaning heavily against her, Amelia got me out of there.

"Thank you," as I found myself good on my feet, I walked to the entrance. I was expecting her to leave as soon as she dropped me off but she didn't. She came up with me to my unit. Out of courtesy, I let her in.

"Make yourself at home."

"Where's your kitchen?"

"Straight ahead then right—help yourself with what you can find, I'll just change."

I went inside my room, took a change of clothes, and headed for the bathroom. I surveyed the damage caused by the accident and sighed. The cut on my head was small but it's starting to swell and bruise. I took off my dress shirt and noted a big red tender spot on my left shoulder.

Hot fudge and sundaes, it was huge!

I changed my clothes and walk out of my room after a contained mini breakdown. Good thing Mim's not home. She would freak when she sees me like this.

I was about to head for the living room when someone grabbed my arm. I almost screamed in shock but remembered that I was not alone.

"Amelia! That prop might not have been able to kill me but you appearing out of nowhere and manhandling me will! You scared me!"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to." Apologetic, she slowly led me to sit beside her on the couch. I could see a bowl of ice, towels, and ice packs on the table.

Pointing to my injured head, she said, "We have to do something about that. Where's your first aid kit?"

"It's fine. The medic has cleaned it already. I looked at it while I was changing, I won't die from this."

Her brows furrowed.

"But you might, if my grandfather sees this," I teased her.