C H A P T E R 42

NO BOUNDS

RUEN

Laughter filled the Evans' home. Mr. Evans and Michael were sharing a bottle of wine while Amelia begged off.

His arms around his wife's shoulder, Michael told everyone how he met Bella.

"Poor Bella didn't know what hit her." Amelia teased her brother.

Everyone laughed except Michael. Not seeing the joke, he threw her a pillow.

Catching it before it landed on her face, she chose to sit on an armchair - not wanting to sit with me.

Still giving me the cold shoulder.

She's been avoiding me ever since the awards night. Sleeping on the farthest end facing the opposite side of the bed, she barely touched me.

"So, how did you guys end up together?" Bella asked.

The room suddenly fell quiet.

Someone should make a living out of making rules for family night discussions.

Questions like that must be banned.

Touchy subject.

Bella wasn't aware so how should that question be answered.

No one dared for a minute until...

"We ended up together because Michael met you," Amelia said.

I could almost imagine Seth mentally slapping a hand over her mouth to stop incriminating words from escaping.

Sensing a tensed Seth, Rosaline came over to her husband and hugged him, willing him to keep his cool.

This could go downhill very fast.

If Amelia was overly passive with regards to me before coming here, now after talking to her father, she's downright pissed.

"You see Michael was to marry her." She laughed, mirthless.

What's gotten her in a twist?

"It wasn't supposed to be me." The corners of her mouth upturned in self-reproach.

So much for 'I love you's...

Michael's mouth hung agape as a bewildered Bella turned to him for an explanation.

What is she getting at?

Was that a thinly veiled jab?

'...someone no one would ever love!'

Well, two people can play this game.

"Amelia pitying discarded 'ole me, married me instead," I said, meeting her gaze as she swung her head in my direction. "Saving the day."

Infuriating woman!

A couple of weeks ago she was all doting and attentive, one minute she's dismissive and now attacking.

"I guess we should call it a night." Rosaline finally said. "Bella needs her rest."

Without bidding her family farewell, Amelia stood and went out the door.

I should be barred from family dinners.

After apologizing for ruining the night, I went after Amelia. Feigning sleep by the passenger seat, her eyes stayed close on the way back.

We prepared for bed in silence.

Remaining quiet until we settled for bed, she resumed her new sleeping position - curled up and with her back against me.