C H A P T E R 22

FRIENDS AND OH, THE BENEFITS!

AMELIA

"How is she?" Rachel handed me a bottle of water. We were on our way to another interview—one from a couple of hundreds these past few weeks.

"She's been awfully quiet." I sighed and leaned against my seat. "We were summoned by her grandfather two days ago and I can say it didn't go well."

"You can't blame the man. He went through so much just to keep his granddaughter out of the vicious and preying hands of the press for years only to be caught in a scandalous confrontation between her wife and a high profiled but troubled couple."

"Gee, thanks for driving it home." I rubbed my sore temples. "Remind me not to come to you when my morale is at its lowest for I might discover a new low."

"What does he expect?" John called from the driver's seat. "If he wanted to keep it that way; granted that Ruen already attracts attention simply for being a Vasquez, he shouldn't have married his granddaughter off to an actress. It's no way to keep a quiet, press free life."

"Exactly, John."

"You were not the first choice, remember? It was supposed to be Michael." Rachel said.

"Michael?" I gave a mirthless laugh. "As if he'd be a better choice."

"Your brother may not be the greatest man but at least it would have softened the blow."

My brow raised at that.

"Oh come on!" She crossed her arms. "Not once did Mr. Vasquez acknowledge the fact that his only granddaughter is a lesbian regardless of the rags that they have managed to write about it." She sighed in frustration.

Hence, no media coverage and press releases before, during, and after the wedding. All hush-hush.

"So? It's the truth no matter how he chooses to ignore it." It was my turn to cross my arms.

"He wouldn't even have to ignore it if Michael married her because having Ruen marry a man would've taken the edge off the rumors," she explained.

"But the reality is that she is married to Lia, now," John interjected. "So not only does it prove the rumors true, but it also made Mr. Vasquez indirectly acknowledge and approve his granddaughter's sexuality."

"His granddaughter's sexuality as the subject of news is nothing compared to..." She sat up straight and cleared her throat. "'Mr. Vasquez's lesbian granddaughter and her granddaughter's straight adulterous wife' storyline." She made quotation marks in the air as she spoke.

He nodded his head up and down. "I see your point there, Rach."

"What point, John? Pray, do tell."

"Let's face it, Lia. The society we live in tolerates polygamous married men compared to monogamous gays and lesbians and adulterous women." John explained.

"Being caught up in this scandal made Ruen susceptible to censure and ridicule which in turn affects the Vasquez's reputation," she added. "You're no stranger to public scrutiny as an actress, but Ruen?"

Shit!

"You see?" She unfastened her seatbelt as the car stopped in front of the building.

"She'll be crushed, Rach." With shaking hands, I removed my seatbelt and went out after Rachel.

She's caught in the mess that I made!

* * *

RUEN