CHAPTER 18

"Klaus!" I shouted, running down the stairs. I saw Klaus in the same position as he was before but I shoved the letter in his face, asking, "What is this?"

"Seems like a handwritten note," He said, looking up at me, "What do you think it is?"

"Don't get sarcastic with me," I said, narrowing my eyes at him, "This was on my nightstand,"

Klaus snatched the letter from me and his eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he read it. I showed him the envelope with the seal on it and he got even more confused.

"I've never seen this symbol in my life," He stated.

"That's a shocker considering you're Mr. Know-it-All," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Wrong reference for that is Elijah," He said, handing me back the envelope, "Whatever that may be, you're not going,"

"Why not?" I protested, "Aren't you the least bit curious?"

"Curiosity killed the cat," He stated.

"Satisfaction brought it back, Klaus," I said, "Come on! My life's starting to get interesting here!"

"You seem to have a death wish," He said, staring at me.

"Okay, first of all, I don't," I retorted, "Second of all, if it is a prank, I'll drain the said person dry. Lastly, I'm going and that's final,"

"Well, if you want to walk into your untimely death, might as well go with you," He said, standing up.

"I have to come alone, Klaus," I said, "You're not coming,"

"I am if you want to step foot out of this mansion, love," He warned.

"The letter says I have to go alone," I protested.

"And it doesn't look legitimate to me," He said, "We're going and you're not fighting me, sweetheart,"

------

At 11pm, we stood outside the cemetery, with me shivering from the cold. Klaus, seeing my shaking figure, removed his leather jacket and wrapped it around me. I gave him a grateful look and sighed.

"Well, this is it," I said, putting one foot forward, "Don't come with me. Just stay here. I'll scream if I need any help,"

"I'll keep that in mind," He said, smirking as he leaned against the car. I rolled my eyes and mentally gave myself a pep talk. I carefully went inside the cemetery, scanning my surroundings. No other person was in sight and I was starting to think this was all prank. I was about to leave when a voice startled me from behind.

"Persephone," A voice called out. I turned around to see a blonde woman, who looked to be in her late 30's, wearing a beige coat and her hair tied in a bun.

"Who are you?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at her.

"My name's Demeter," She said, "I'm your mother,"