Chapter 18 - Even Helen Keller wouldn't be able to ignore him

MYSTIC GRILL

Jeremy walked into the Grill just as Tyler approached Vicki, squeezing her ass. Jeremy felt uncomfortable, stopped in place, looked back over his shoulder to the exit, and then to the notebook in his hand. After hearing the girly giggles from the women in the house, he'd left the house. He needed to study in peace and stupidly thought he could do this at the Grill.

Over Vicki's shoulder, Tyler saw Jeremy and pulled away from Vicki. His behavior at the party in the woods and at the comet had embarrassed him now he was able to think it over. Matt had talked sense into him that Jeremy had dropped the drugs and was trying to get clean again, plus he'd left Vicki alone since she chose him; Tyler had to respect that.

Jeremy saw him pull away and thought for a second Tyler was going to try and hit him, when Tyler nodded over at him, "Gilbert."

Jeremy nodded his head back as he walked past, heading to the high tables near the pool tables. Matt, who was also watching the scene from the pool tables, smiled proudly at Tyler; finally, his best friend was growing up.

"You okay, little J?" Matt asked Jeremy as he sat on the tall table closest to his pool table.

Jeremy nodded, placing his books on the table. He glanced over at Tyler, who was now walking away from Vicki before looking back to Matt, "Yeah, man."

"You wanna play a game?" Matt gestured to the pool cue he was holding.

Jeremy opened his mouth to answer until Tyler stepped up next to Matt, "Thanks-" he gestured to his books, "-but I gotta study."

"Can't do that at home?" Tyler asked, which freaked Jeremy and Matt out how casual the question was.

"Jenna demanded a get-to-know-Stefan dinner," Jeremy scowled. "The giggling got annoying."

Matt raised an eyebrow, "Aella giggles?"

Jeremy smirked, "Aella was hiding in my room until Caroline found her."

Tyler snorted, "That sounds better." He gestured to Matt's pool cue, "Sure, you don't want a game?"

Jeremy saw the olive branch and hesitantly nodded, "Next game? Let me just do a bit of studying."

"Deal." Tyler smiled and looked to Matt, "Set the table up, Donovan."

GILBERT RESIDENCE

"I cannot believe that Mr. Tanner let you on the team," Caroline smirked at the memory of today. "Tyler must be seething. But good for you. Go for it."

"That's what I always tell him," Damon chimed in from his position next to Elena. "You have to engage. You can't just sit there and wait for life to come to you." He looked at Elena raising his eyebrows, "You have to go get it."

"Yeah," Elena nodded with him. "I feel the same way, it's why I was so insistent on Stefan asking Tanner."

Damon leaned in playfully to Elena, a move that un-eased Caroline, Aella, and Stefan. "So it's your fault he's become a jock head!"

"Guilty," she flirted back with a broad smile.

Damon turned to Elena, the fake sympathy looking so real, but the three people who knew Damon better saw how fake he was acting. "I'm sorry to hear about your parents passing, Elena. I know what it's like to lose both your parents." He looked to Stefan, ignoring the sharp stares coming from the couple sitting together, "In fact, Stefan and I have watched almost every single person we've ever cared about die.

"We don't need to get into that right now, Damon," Stefan chimed in, and Aella nodded in agreement.

"Yeah," Aella smiled through clenched teeth. "No one likes a party pooper Damon."