Chapter 31 - Must suck to be a Vampire, right Stefan?

DONOVAN HOUSEHOLD 

"Damon did what?!" Caroline and Bonnie shouted over the phone.

"I know," Aella muttered, rubbing her eyes again. "Believe me, I really know. I had to leave while Stefan was telling Vicki the truth-" her eyes filled with tears and her throat tightened "-I don't know what to do."

It was silent on the phone and Aella thought the call has disconnected until her best friend spoke to her, "You go in there and just be there for her."

"But what can I do?" Aella cried she was sixteen years old, she should be getting ready for Halloween with her best friends and being a typical teenager, not help tell an 18-year old that she either had to become a vampire or die.

"Aella," Bonnie now had the phone. "If anyone could help Vicki go through a life-changing decision, it's you. And if Matt knew about this and knew he couldn't be with her, he would want you to be there for her." Aella cried down the phone, and her best friends just looked at each other over Caroline's phone, they would do anything to be with her right now.

"Okay," Aella nodded and took a deep breath wiping her tears. "Okay."

She finished the call with her best friend and cousin then turned back to the house when she saw Stefan watching her from the doorway, "How much did you hear?"

Stefan stepped forward to meet her halfway before pulling her into his arms, kissing her head as she held him tight, "Just the end, and they're right you know? Matt would want you to be there for her."

Aella held onto him and he onto her for a few minutes until she looked at him, "I just don't know what to say..." Stefan chuckled, and Aella hit his bicep as if she could hear him thinking 'that's a first.' "I mean, I joke, I laugh, I make a fool out of myself; but how am I supposed to help one of my best friends sister choose if she wants to become a vampire or die? How do I do that?"

Her tears returned, and she sobbed in Stefan's arms as he just held her, and for one split second - only one- wondered if he should have returned to Mystic Falls, but that thought quickly left his mind as Aella stopped crying and kissed the hand that had been wiping her tears.

"You don't do anything," Stefan answered for her. "Vicki has to make that decision. You just have to listen."

"Okay," she nodded and kissed his hand again. "Thank you."

Stefan just leaned down and kissed her wet lips, "You don't ever have to thank me."

..............................................

..............................................

Vicki sat staring out her childhood room window, for years she had wished to get out of the shitty town, and now she just wanted one more day, one more week; anything other than hours.

Aella was brushing her hair, a week at Damon's without conditioner had densely knotted her hair, but Vicki wouldn't have even noticed due to how soft Aella had been. It was crazy how only one week ago she had hated Aella for having everything she didn't, but now she knew why Matty and Jeremy were always so protective over her; she was an excellent person to have around when you wanted nobody around. Aella hadn't acted any different around her, although Vicki would be blind to have missed the red surrounding the brunette's eyes, instead, she asked Vicki if she could brush her hair, it was something her mother had done whenever she was upset, and Vicki hadn't the heart to say no.

"Do you think it will hurt?" Vicki suddenly asked Aella, and if it wasn't for the slight hesitation on the next section Aella was brushing, Vicki wouldn't have known she asked the question out loud.