Chapter 40 - Who are the Samphires?

SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE

"So how's Lexi been?"

Aella moved her iPad from her knees and set it up on Stefan's bed as she adjusted her position on the bed, so she was now laid on her stomach, legs waving back and forth in the air. She had been speaking to Caroline for the past 20 minutes about school before the blonde asked about their new vampire friend.

"Okay," Aella shrugged as best as she could from her position. "The fact that Damon has been MIA while we've been helping Stefan has kept her mind off what happened. But when she told Lee, wow!"

Caroline chuckled how wide Aella's eyes had gone, "Lee, the vampire boyfriend?"

Aella nodded, "Lee, the human Lexi loved and turned vampire, so he's Bella to Lexi's Edward."

"So super protective," Caroline summed up, which had Aella chuckling.

"Basically," Aella said, but then she remembered what she had seen at the Grill before shit went down. She came close to her iPad's camera, "But enough of that missy! Tell me I saw you and Matt flirting up a storm before Mama Forbes decided to play Van Helsing?"

Caroline bit her lip to try and hide her smile, but Aella could see it immediately, "He may have asked me out... but-" the blonde held up her finger to the camera halting Aella's squealing "-but... we decided to give him some time to deal with the fact his sister had just died!" She rolled her eyes, "And then Mom had to go and say an investigation had to be done, which could take up to a few months before Matt can even plan a funeral."

"And his Mom?" Aella questioned, hating Matt was having to go through this.

Caroline scoffed, "You mean the Mom that has been rejecting all his calls for the past two weeks?"

"Thank God for you and Jenna then," Aella smiled, Jenna had taken Matt under her wing and was now practically raising four kids. It was also a blessing in disguise as it was keeping Jenna from really noticing Aella was never actually around and had virtually moved in with Stefan unofficially.

"But I swear A, if Elena doesn't stop with the fluttering eyelashes and reminiscing with Matt, I may kill her!"

Aella could see how hard it was for Caroline to share that, but that's why she was her person, she knew Caroline was just annoyed and wouldn't actually say anything to Elena... maybe a few years ago before they were as close as they were now. "That's just how E is Caroline, her and Matt will always have a histor-"

"-And I know that!" Caroline interrupted her wide-eyed, "But every time I feel that Matt and I are getting closer and he feels like he can share things with me, Elena shows up and can't help but bring up a past event, which usually include when they dated!"

"Does it make Matt forget what's going on?" Aella questioned, brow raised.

Caroline was quiet until she groaned out a soft, "Yes..."

Aella shrugged, "Well, let them reminisce, but know that at the Grill, even with Elena there, Matt's eyes were always on you... I think he's realized that thing he and E had sailed away by now. You've just gotta keep calm."

"Ugh!" Caroline fell back onto her bed, but Aella could still hear the blonde mutter, "I hate it when you're right."

"Whoa, baby!" Aella laughed. "Can I record you saying that again?"

It didn't take 2 seconds for Caroline's head to pop back up, glare in full view, "You Full Housed! You know what that mea-"

Aella eyes widened; she honestly thought Caroline would be in so much anguish at saying she was right; she would have missed her quoting Full house. "Uhhhh crkrkrkrkrkrkrk-" Aella imitated a bad phone line into her iPad "-bad connection Caroline-" she moved her hand in and out of the camera to make it look there was a bad connection. "-What was that Stefan, you need help?" She answered an invisible Stefan... all the while Caroline was glaring at her screen, not believing Aella for one minute. "Love you, C!"