Chapter 88 - Betrayed

MYSTIC GRILL

"It was so funny," Matt laughed loudly, along with the rest of the people. "She was just screaming how Aella should have been sent to a boarding school, what an insolent girl she was, and how she was the bane of her existence. I swear, I thought she was going to have a mental breakdown."

Aella did a small bow to the group, as some of them wiped their tears away. It was always a joy to hear about Carol's tantrums over Aella.

Aella smirked as she tilted her head up proudly, "Today it was Carol... but one day, I will make onions cry."

Caroline rolled her eyes and reached for her drink when her bracelet fell off, "Damn it! The nicest thing my Mom ever gave me and it uncoils every other minute." She turned to Aella, "Help?"

Aella turned on Stefan's knee and took the bracelet from Caroline, only for her to let out a sharp gasp as she was pulled into a vision:

Sheriff Forbes was talking with John and the Mayor in her office. She looked to the two men in disbelief, "You want to use our town as bait? It's too dangerous, it's insane!"

Slamming the door shut she turned to the men. The Mayor looked uncomfortable but explained the plan to her, "We've gone over the plans with all your deputies, they're all on board."

Liz's eyes widened, "You've gone behind my back?"

"Yeah," Richard pointed to her stiff posture. "Because we knew this is exactly how you'd react. The tomb vampires will attack here during the fireworks, it's our only choice."

Liz shook her head, still in shock at how these two men were behaving, "Our children are here."

Unbeknown to Liz, another parent was in the room with them as John stepped forward from his leaned position on her desk. "Liz, we need to do this. We have no choice; this is the reason for the Secret Council. Our founding fathers created the Secret Council for just this purpose!"

There was a long silence as they looked at each other until Liz shook her head furiously, "I'm the Sheriff, it's my call, and I say no."

John looked to the Mayor, "Richard, let me speak to the Sheriff alone." Richard looked between John and Liz with uncertainty, but his belief in the plan went over his trust in John, and he left.

"John, you're not thinking clearly..." Liz tried to change his mind. "I'm not gonna change my mind about this..." She turned to return to her desk when she was hit over the back of her head and fell to the ground, unconscious. John then removed her gun belt and handcuffed her to the radiator. He stared down at his friend guiltily, but he had bigger and more damaging problems. This would be how he protected himself, Isobel, and most of all... Elena.

Without another thought to his actions, he turned on the spot and casually left Liz unconscious in her office.

Aella was back with another gasp, and everyone seemed to be staring at her, and she paled, her eyes widening at what her vision showed her. The only one, unaware of her visions, let out a weary chuckle, "You okay, Lia... Or is Mystic Lia reappearing?"

Aella let out a soft chuckle, unaware of her hand gripping Stefan's tightly, "It was Mystic Lia, Matt." She leaned forward towards him before tapping her empty glass, "And she's realized she has an empty glass and you get free drinks."

Matt rolled his eyes as he stood up, "That mean everyone?"

The group all echoed yeses, but those who knew something wasn't right, could hear the lack of humor behind their voice. Caroline took hold of Aella's hand that still held her bracelet, "What was it?"