Chapter 34 - We failed Vicki

MYSTIC FALLS HIGH 

Aella took a deep breath as she finally spotted Matt outside, he was laughing with members of the football team and Aella did not want to be the one that changed his life tonight but Damon had made that impossible for, she almost started crying again as she watched Matt. Hadn't this boy had enough shit happen his life, why was this happening to one of the nicest guys on the planet. But she knew she had to be strong for Matt and sucked in her tears and started making her way over to him.

It showed just how good of a person Matt was that as soon as Matt saw Aella, her makeup smudged and blood all over her dress and hair, his smile faded as he ran over to her, "A? Whoa. wh...what happened?"

Aella wanted to roll her eyes, Caroline had told her it would be best to clean herself up, but she just wanted to find Matt, "Nothing." She smiled fakely to him, "Some idiot with some fake blood got me, and it went in my eyes, blood and Halloween contacts are a no go."

Matt seemed to calm at that, but then he brought up the topic Aella was dreading, "Have you see Vicki? Someone said they saw her here."

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about Matt," Aella frowned, and Matt sobered up at her tone. "Jeremy and I were getting some air, and we saw Vicki running towards the woods crying." She swallowed hard as Matt shook his head in frustration. "We went after her, but she just had a bigger head start on us."

"Is this what I'm in for A," Matt asked her in defeat. "A lifetime of worrying about her? You know we had an argument before I came here about her behavior and now she does this!"

Aella was shocked, Matt had come home between her and Stefan leaving Vicki and Vicki coming to the school, now she understood why Vicki had come to the school; She needed to apologize to Matt. Aella's heart broke again, and it took everything within her to not cry, so she told Matt precisely what he needed to hear, "You are an amazing brother Matt, just know I'm here for anything."

Matt nodded with a shy smile on his face, "Maybe she went home?"

She wasn't, but Aella couldn't tell that, and so she nodded hesitantly, "Maybe? Do you want a lift to your house to check?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "Thanks, A."

Aella and Matt made their way over to her car, as they were walking Matt asked, "So where's the vampire?"

"What?!" Aella spun to him eye open wide. "Vampire?"

"Yea," Matt asked a bemused expression on his face. "Stefan? He was dressed as a vampire, right?"

"Yes!" Aella exclaimed a little too loud, relief flowing through her veins. "Stefan is dressed as a vampire. But it's only a costume."

Matt was a little baffled, Aella was a little crazier than usual, "So?"

"So?" She repeated back confused, heartbeat back to normal. Then remembered Matt's original question, "Oh Stefan? He's with Caroline and Bonnie, I told them about Vicki, and they're checking the school to see if she returned."

"But Caroline and Bonnie know what Vick is like, why are they looking?" Matt confusedly asked.

"She looked really upset Matt," Aella emphasized. "It worried us all."

Matt nodded, and they carried on to the car, Matt a little more worried than he was before, he was about to question Aella some more when he saw Jeremy leaned against Aella's car, "Jer?"

"Hey Matt," Jeremy straightened up and cleared his throat.

"Wow, Vick must have looked really upset if you're helping too." Matt chuckled at the younger Gilbert. "Thought you didn't like my sister anymore?"

Jeremy panicked, he thought he would be good to go with Aella and Matt, but now faced with Vicki's brother he had no clue how to act. How could he act like normal knowing that only an hour ago Vicki died right in front of him and now he had to act as if nothing had happened? Aella noticed his panic and nudged him with the toe of her shoe, but that did nothing, so she answered for him, "Not like?" Aella chuckled fakely, and she pushed Jeremy away from the driver's side so she could get in the car, and to also knock some sense in him, "He was just trying to play cool in front of her."

Matt chuckled in with her as he moved around the car and got in the passenger's side, "Well I believed it."

While Matt got in the car, Aella turned to Jeremy eyes wide as she mouthed 'What are you doing?', Jeremy just winced and got in the back of the vehicle. Taking another deep breath, she placed the fake smile back on her face and got in the car, "Onwards to Casa Donovan."