Chapter 35 - Happy Birthday, Dracula.

SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE

When Stefan returned home in the early hours of November 1st, he knew he wouldn't be able to sleep so soon after the emotional night he, and his friends had. Aella had stayed with Matt when the footballer refused to let go of his friend following the confirmation Vicki's body had been found, so Aella, Elena, Caroline, Liz, and Jenna had all gone to the Donovan household hoping to bring some comfort to Matt.

Stefan instantly headed the library, and pulled a specific book from the many bookcases; The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde had always been a favorite, and he hoped it would free him from his brother's actions at least until the sun rose again.

'I have grown to love secrecy.' Stefan read, his eyes unconsciously starting to close, 'It seems to be the one thing that can make modern life mysterious or marvelous to us.' The book fell from Stefan's hand as the last line resonated in his mind, 'The commonest thing is delightful if only one hides it.' until the precious book hit the floor with a 'thud,' and woke Stefan from the beginnings of sleep.

Stefan stood picking up the book and stretching the sleep out of his body, he was about to turn to head to bed when a faint female laugh caught his ear. Turning to where the sound originated he knew it wouldn't be Aella or any of her female friends, so Stefan was confused, and Stefan didn't like being confused. Walking through the room he used his hearing to listen for anything suspicious, and when he heard a slight creak his eyes followed his hearing, to an open window with its curtain wafting in and out of the house. When Stefan closed the window he missed the shadow behind him, and when he turned to head out of the room he felt a difference in the air; someone was watching him.

"Damon?"

It was silly to think this was Damon after his behavior the past few days, but Stefan was fresh out of ideas who this could be.

Walking forward he was attacked from behind and pushed onto his front, with his speed he turned himself around only to be landed on, and a familiar face baring her teeth towards him, "Lexi?"

"Hi," Lexi smiled as she used Stefan's shock to help him up, as he questioned why she was in Mystic Falls, in his house. "How could you even ask that?" Lexi questioned, but Stefan answered her question by pulling her close and hugging her tightly.

She always knew we he needed her.

"I missed you."

Lexi just smiled as they pulled away from each other, "Happy Birthday."

..............................................

..............................................

I took the rest of the night to catch up Lexi on the previous night's action, and the new part of his life Lexi had heard about but was excited to meet.

"So where's your girl?" Lexi prodded him on his stomach as they both lounged on his bed "She sounds awesome."

Stefan had to smile, Aella was undoubtedly that, "She's with Matt, well was with Matt. She text that she was heading home to shower and then head asked me to pick her up when I told her you were here."

"She knows about me?" Lexi gasped, usually, she had to wrangle Stefan into introducing her to people he knew.

"She knows a lot more than she should for the short amount of time we've been together," Stefan admitted to his best friend as he sat up. "But she has an aura around her that I know I can tell her anything, and she'll just take it in her stride. She's amazing."

Lexi smiled up at him, she'd never seen Stefan this way even when he spoke of the good moments between him, Damon, and Katherine, "She sounds it, do you have a picture so I'll know what to expect?"