Chapter 12

Happiness!

--

Then

"She won't sleep!" I said. Brittany's laugh came from the other end of the phone. She had already been through this with Jordyn who is now four. "What am I doing wrong?" I asked Brittany above Charlie's screaming. I grabbed a pacifier and tried to stick it in her mouth, but she spit it right back out.

I huffed and leaned back trying to collect my thoughts. I hadn't slept in what felt like forever. I think this was day three of not showering. My hair was greasy, my breath stank, and my shirt was covered in a couple days worth of spit up. I felt disgusting.

"If I was there, I would help you," Brittany said. I sighed heavily and closed my eyes. At least Charlie wasn't full blown crying anymore. It was short bursts of whimpers here and there. I looked up to see her sucking on her tiny fist. I sighed and rubbed my eyes.

"She's drooling an awful lot," I mumbled while taking a cloth and gently wiping the drool from her chin. "She's probably teething," Brittany said through a yawn which caused me to yawn too. "I know you're tired. I'll let you go. Thanks sis," I said before hanging up.

I leaned forward and gently grabbed Charlie and laid her against my chest. She sighed contently and I heard her deep breathing instantly. I slowly slid my way down the couch until I was laying flat with a pillow behind my head. It wasn't the safest way to sleep with a baby, but I didn't care at this point. I just wanted a couple hours of sleep.

I closed my eyes for what felt like mere seconds before Charlie's screams woke me up. I jumped before sitting straight up and clutching her to my chest. I looked at the clock to see seconds were actually hours. Three hours to be exact. I guess it was better than nothing.

I laid Charlie in her bouncy seat long enough to go make her a bottle. Walking away from her just made her cry harder. I sighed while mixing the bottle wondering when she was gonna give up. I came back into the living room to Charlie's screams getting louder.

"Shh," I whispered as I picked her up and cradled her to my chest. I placed the bottle between her lips and she sucked greedily. Her cries quieted instantly as she drank the bottle. I laid my head back with a sigh. Silence, it was the little things in life.

Soon Charlie finished the milk and I laid her on my shoulder to burp. After a few small ones she slowly fell back asleep. I looked at the clock to see that it was six in the morning. I was wide awake while she was sound asleep. I placed Charlie lightly in her bouncer before picking up the bouncer and carrying it to the bathroom.

It was as good as time as ever to get a shower while I could. I grabbed a comfy change of clothes and turned on the water hoping I wasn't going to disturb Charlie. I turned the water on as hot as I could tolerate it and let out a deep sigh as I stepped under the hot water.

Scrubbing shampoo and conditioner through my hair and soaping up my body with some lavender body wash made me start to feel halfway human again. I shaved before rinsing my body of all the soap. Shutting off the water and opening the curtain I saw that Charlie was still sound asleep.

I smiled and dried myself off before changing into fresh clothes. I put my hair up in a wet bun and brushed my teeth before looking in the mirror. I actually felt way better now. I grabbed Charlie from the bouncer and put her in her room in her crib. I closed the door slightly and walked back into the living room.

I sat down on the couch and decided to turn on the TV to pass the time. The Today Show logo popped across the screen and I left it there figuring I wasn't going to be paying that much attention. The host came on the screen with a smile on her overly make up'd face.