Chapter 29

I don't feel like this chapter needs a long author's note to introduce it!

Hi sorry I've been gone for so long. I hope you're still with me! I love you all!

--

*Jeffrey's POV*

I woke up early the next morning. I rolled over and looked at my alarm clock. The bright red numbers read that it was a little after five in the morning. I yawned and stretched knowing that I had to get up soon to feed the animals. I didn't need an alarm anymore to wake me up unless it was a long night.

I got out of bed and grabbed the hoodie that was slung on my dresser. I left my sweatpants on that I slept in knowing that I would take a shower when I came back in from feeding the zoo outside. I went into the kitchen and turned on the coffee pot before heading to the front door and put on my muddy work boots.

I went back to the kitchen and poured myself a cup of coffee to take with me out to the fields. I took a sip and let out a deep sigh as it warmed my body and started waking me up. I took another drink as I walked towards the front door. I grabbed a pair of keys for one of the trucks before heading out the door.

The wooden screen door slammed behind me as I looked out over the farm. The sun was just starting to rise. This and the sunset was the favorite part of my days around here. I took another drink and walked down the stairs and headed towards my truck when I stopped dead in my tracks.

I turned on my heel and faced back towards the house. A small smile formed on my lips as I made my way back up the stairs. "Dumbass," I mumbled to myself as I walked back in the house quietly. Charlie. I wasn't used to having her here yet and here I was walking around like a bull in a china shop like I did every morning.

I kicked my muddy boots back off and headed towards Charlie's bedroom. I quietly opened the door and poked my head in. Charlie was laying on her side sleeping peacefully cuddled up to one of the stuffed animals I had gotten for her room. The blanket was kicked down at the foot of the bed.

I walked in, pulled the blanket up to her chest, and moved her hair out of her face before walking back out and shutting the door behind me. I walked back out to the kitchen and grabbed my coffee before plopping down on the couch and pulling out my phone to shoot a text to one of the people that helps on the farm.

There was no way I was going to leave Charlie by herself in the house to drive around my sixty two acre farm this early in the morning. I was going to have to wait until she woke up, but the animals have to eat. After sending a text to one of my helpers, apologizing that it was early but I needed his help, I stood up and headed back to my bedroom.

I grabbed some clothes and made my way into the conjoining bathroom to take a quick shower. My phone beeped and I looked to see a text back from the farm hand saying he was already awake and he would be on his way shortly. After typing back a quick thanks I got in the shower and woke myself the rest of the way up.

After a quick shower, I got dressed and made my way back to the living room. I grabbed my phone again and texted Ronnie. It was almost seven in the morning so I assumed she would be awake and getting ready for work. I walked to the kitchen and poured myself another cup of coffee as I opened a new text to her.

Good morning, I hope I'm not waking you. I'm assuming you have to work today? I heard you tell Charlie last night you had to get up early.

I sent the text and placed my phone on the kitchen counter as I went to the refrigerator to find something to cook for breakfast. Kids had to eat, right? Just like the animals. I grabbed some fresh chicken eggs and some bacon out of the fridge and sat it on the counter by the stove just as my phone went off. I picked it up to see it was Ronnie.