Chapter 31

*Ronnie's POV*

Well, there's nothing left to say
Plus I'm low on battery and yeah I'm scared
The million miles you're away keeps feeling farther every day
And talking's getting rare

And I could keep trying but baby I might just be lying to myself
But I don't want to go nowhere and I sure don't want no one else

All I've ever wanted was to be the one you're coming home to
Instead of running scared and hiding,
look into your eyes and say what you never knew
That all I ever wanted was to be
Next to you

I quickly shut off the radio and kept cooking lunch for me and Charlie. We were having a quick lunch before meeting Jeffrey at the park right down the street from our house. It had been two weeks since Charlie had spent the night with him. She had spent three other nights with him as well since then.

"Charlie! Lunch is ready!" I called through the house as I pushed the pot off the stove. I grabbed a couple bowls and dished some spaghetti into it. Charlie came running through the living room and slid to a hault in front of me. I chuckled seeing that she was dressed in a dress and Jeffrey's cowboy hat.

"Hey squirt, sit down at the table and I'll get you some spaghetti. Do you want juice?" I asked. She nodded as she climbed up in one of the chairs at the table. I grabbed a juice box out of the fridge and took everything to the table. Just as I sat down a knock sounded at the door. I looked over at Charlie who instantly jumped down from her chair.

"I'll get it!" Charlie said as she took off towards the front door. I got up and followed her. We weren't expecting company. Jeffrey was supposed to meet us at the park so I knew it wasn't him. Charlie rounded the corner to the door and I lost sight of her as I heard the door come open. She squealed as I rounded the corner.

"Daddy!" by the time I saw her she was already in Jeffrey's arms hugging him tightly. I leaned against the wall as I watched the two of them. She was already such a daddy's girl. Charlie pulled back and climbed down out of Jeffrey's arms. He smiled at me as he readjusted the ball cap on his head.

"Hey," he said softly as Charlie ran back through the house. He stepped into the house and shut the door behind him. "Hey yourself, I thought we were supposed to meet you at the park?" I said as I started my way back towards the kitchen with Jeffrey hot on my heels. His hand came up on my shoulder and stopped me in my tracks.

I looked him in the eyes. I took notice that he was wearing his glasses again. "I'm sorry for popping in and being early. I was running some errands and got finished early so I figured I would just head on over," he said while rubbing my shoulder lightly. I shrugged him off and walked into the dining room.

"It's fine, just wasn't expecting you. We're eating some lunch. Would you like some spaghetti?" I asked him as I grabbed another bowl from the cabinet. He nodded and shrugged off his jean jacket that he was wearing before taking a seat across from Charlie. Which just so happened to be the seat right next to me.

I couldn't change seats, that would be rude. I grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge and set it all down in front of Jeffrey. He muttered a thanks as I walked around him to sit in the chair beside him. Charlie smiled as she continued to slurp her spaghetti out of the bowl. I handed her a napkin noticing some sauce on her chin.

Lunch was quiet as we ate. It wasn't awkward, but it wasn't comfortable either. "Done!" Charlie exclaimed as her fork clammered into her now empty bowl. I went to stand up but Jeffrey beat me to it. "I got it, keep eating," he said as he grabbed his bowl and Charlie's before heading to the kitchen.