S I X T E E N

Today we're going shopping downtown and I've avoided Daniel all morning. I've been sticking with Zach, which wasn't the best idea because he thinks we're best friends and he just constantly talks.

I walk with Zach behind everyone else. I watch as Daniel talks to Jonah and he smiles, causing me to smile.

Oh god no. Stop. I can't think like that.

Yet, I can't help it. The small dimples he gets when he smiles and how when he listens to someone talk, he examines them. He's just so... amazing.

I like Daniel Seavey

I shake my head, trying to think of something else. Zach had been talking this whole time so I decided to listen.

"Once I said that they all laughed. I had no clue what else to do but laugh along with them- oh! Can we go in there!?" Zach asks, grabbing me and dragging me away before I answer.

We go into a store filled with skateboards and thrasher clothing. I look at some clothes while Zach asks about rims for his board.

"Whatcha looking at?" Jonah asks from behind me. "Just some sweaters, I might get one" I run my hand along the hangers. "If you do, you should get this one" he holds up a dark red sweatshirt. "Why?" I ask, looking at the tag. "Because I have the same one and we could match" he smirks. I laugh. "Maybe" I take it from him and keep looking.

I ended up getting the red sweatshirt. Jonah said we were going to take best friend selfies. Corbyn was mad because we still hadn't gotten matching pyjamas. I guess everything between Jonah and I would be okay. It seems like we're closer friends now that we've slept together.

"I want to go in here" Gabbie says as we pass a jewellery shop. "I'm not going in there" Zach groans. "They have watches you can look at" I say, walking to the store. "Fine" he trails behind everyone else.

"Holy! Look at that!" Gabbie squeals, pointing to a diamond bracelet. "That's so pretty" I add. She smiles. "I'm gonna get it" she looks at the tag. "One hundred and fourth five dollars for that?" Zach asks. "You pay more for a pair of shoes" she snarls. He puts his hands up in defence. "Do whatever you want"

•••

I wake up and go out to the kitchen. Tomorrow is the last day in the beach house, which sucks big time. It's July 1st, Jack's birthday.

He told me he always wakes up early with his mom to make pancakes. Since he's away from home, I'll make him pancakes. I grab everything I need and start cooking them.

"You're making pancakes?" Jack asks, walking from around the corner and rubbing his eyes. "Yep" he yawns and sits on a stool. "Happy Canada day!" I cheer. He glares at me and I laugh. "Should I make them red?" I ask. He groans. "As long as they taste good, I don't care what colour they are" he chuckles. "Well, happy birthday, sorry your family couldn't be here" I frown, facing him.

"You all are my family, well my second family" he smiles. I go hug him, then back to the pancakes. "Chocolate chips?" I ask. "Duh" he laughs.

"Ooo! Pancakes! Making some for me?" Daniel asks, walking and sitting next to Jack. "Wait, why are they red?" He asks. "It's Canada day!" I laugh. "Don't you know I'm Canadian?" I ask. "No, I never knew that"

"Well anyways, do you want sausage or bacon with them?" I ask Jack. "Bacon please" Daniel answers. I look to Jack. He nods. "Ok" I start cooking the bacon, everyone slowly started filling into the kitchen.

"Need any help?" Jonah asks. "Yeah, can you watch the bacon please" I continue flipping the pancakes.

"Are we going tubing today?" Corbyn asks. Everyone mumbles a sure or yes. "Yay!"

Everyone ate in silence, which was weird seeing as everyone is usually screaming or laughing. What is going on? I get why Daniel and I aren't saying anything, but why is everyone else so quiet?

"Jack! I got you a birthday gift" I try to diffuse the silence. "You didn't have too ky-" "no shut up! I wanted too" I cut him off. I go to my room and grab the small bag.

Earlier when everyone was at the small cafe, I snuck out to the store next door. I had seen the perfect gift as we walked by and knew I had to get it.

I walk back to the kitchen and hand Jack the bag. Everyone watches him open it.

"Oh my god! No way!" He get up, holding the object. "What the hell is it?" Jonah asks. "When Jack and I first met at the cafe by our houses, on the table he sat at was this small statue. We made it our table, but one day the statue was gone because someone had broken it. I know it's weird to you guys but it resembles our friendship. When you go away to tour and I go away to school, you'll have the statue" I explain. Jack looks at me, curious.

"What do you mean go away to school?" He asks. Oh shit.

What do I say? How do I get out of this? Should I lie? I never lie to Jack, maybe I should tell him the truth. I think it's time. It's just I didn't want to do it in front of everyone.

"I... I- uh" I mutter. I have to say something. "I just mean the schools a little away and I'll have to drive there everyday" technically not a lie. Jack knows when I lie.

"Where's the school?" He asks, staring at me. He put the statue down, without breaking eye contact. His eyes went red and tears threatened to fall.

Everyone was starring and I had no clue what to say.

Their eyes all burned holes into me. My body wanted to collapse from the attention. The world needs to separate and suck me in, swallowing me whole. I hate it. I hate this feeling. I hate lying to Jack and everyone else.

"Where is the school Kylie!" Jack yells.

He never raises his voice at me, or any girl.

I step back, cowering slightly.

I've never been scared of Jack, but at this moment I am. He's never been so mad. His gaze is killing me.

"It's in Seattle" I say so quietly, I can barely hear it.

"Speak up!" Jack shouts, slamming his hands onto the counter. He just missed smashing the statue.

"It's in Seattle"