02

"How much longer?" I groan, looking up from the poetry book I've reread more than once on this never ending car ride. I knew the possibility of us arriving to our destination wasn't anytime soon, but it didn't hurt to try to make small talk with the only person that I was going to be stuck with for the next few weeks.

"You've asked me that more than once now. We'll get there when we get there." He says, keeping his gaze to the road in front of us. I sighed, resting my arm on the open window and placing my head above it. The hot wind hitting my face as I looked out the window to the dirt covered street, tiny rocks hit the sides of the truck, some jumping on my arm.

I had noticed the sun was going down, giving the cactuses off to the side of the deserted road silhouettes of their own. The wind was now becoming a lot cooler as the sun went down, causing my eyes to feel heavy and unable to maintain them open. Eventually Clyde had pulled over to a motel with vanishing grey paint and requested a room for us to spend the night in. "One bed." I point out as soon as we reach the second floor. I purse my lips as I stare at the single twin bed in the middle of the room, holding the strap to my duffel bag on my arm before I look back at Clyde.

The place wasn't the nicest but it would have to do and I wasn't about to complain to a man who was armed to the teeth and had the ability to kill me. "You go ahead, I'm taking the floor." He says, allowing me to go inside first. I set my bags on the hard bed before sitting on it, causing it to squeak. The floors creaked as well and I wondered just how old this motel was.

There was also a rugged brown carpet that felt sticky walking on it with shoes, I will not be touching it without a protective layer. There also appeared to be some dark stains, could be old gum. Could also may be blood for all I know.

"I need to shower." I say, digging for a fresh pair of clothes to sleep in which was a simple white strap shirt and a pair of cotton grey shorts. I grab my toiletries and head for the bathroom.

"You know the rules." Clyde says, filling the cartridge of his gun with bullets as he sat on the mustard colored couch. I roll my eyes, knowing the 5 minute rule I was forced to follow. I quickly go inside the bathroom and showered as quickly as I could. I had no time to wait for the hot water to kick in so I was forced to shower under cold water. After I finish off I changed into my clothes, brushed my teeth and leave the bathroom to grab the hairbrush from my bag.

"Three minutes overdue." Clyde says, slinging his clothes over his shoulder and walks to the bathroom. I roll my eyes in annoyance, he was beginning to get on my nerves. "Don't answer the door and stay away from the window, keep the volume low." He says before closing the door to the bathroom.

"Yes sir." I roll my eyes, still brushing my hair. I turn on the TV and switch through the channels, finally deciding on the late night cartoons as I continued to brush my hair. I never got to watch TV much because my father believed it would rot my brain. Typical parent lie to get your kid to be more studious. As I watched, I remember a time when my sister and I were little. Every Saturday morning we'd sneak in front of the TV in the basement and sat there with a bowl of cereal.

Until we were caught by my father and got scolded for being kids.

Just as the cartoon was going on a comercial break, from my peripheral vision I noticed the door handle rattle gently as if someone from behind the door was trying to see if it was locked without dragging attention to it. I quickly muted the television and stood from my spot on the bed. My heart pounding in my ears. I looked towards the bathroom but the door was still closed. I gently walked towards the front door, after all it could just be the front desk manager or someone getting their rooms mixed up. But before I could reach it, I was being pulled to the side by Clyde who was now dressed and showered, the gun he was loading earlier was now in his hand as he motioned for me to hide under the bed and I did, fitting my body down there as best as I could, cringing as my hands touched the sticky carpet.

Then we played the waiting game.

I saw how Clyde was trying to quietly cock his gun, I assumed he saw something suspicious through the peephole. There was no noise and no movement. That was until there were three silenced gunshots though they were loud enough to where it made me jump from fright. I furrowed my eyebrows and before I could ask Clyde what the hell just happened he falls to the ground. I slap my hand to my mouth and back up under the bed. The door slowly creaks open and I knew two of those gunshots probably broke the lock on the door, the other one happened to hit Clyde.

Eyes wide, I try to calm myself and prevent from having a panic attack when a pair of black boots slowly walk inside, cautiously stepping over Clyde's dead body as they look around the room. "Come in, Styles." A thick raspy male voice with an accent spoke over a radio. I tried my best to keep quiet, my hand never once leaving the vicinity of my mouth.

"Alfio." The person spoke and I realized it was another male, this time he spoke with a British accent.

"Did you find her?" My eyes flick away from Clyde's body and towards the pair of boots, watching them carefully now that I know what they want.

"I will soon."

"I need her alive. Go easy on her, but do what you must." The male says one last time before the room goes silent. The heavy and suspenseful footsteps proceeded to walk around the room, checking every tiny space of the motel, careful enough not to leave out anything.

It felt like I've been hiding for about an hour, although I'm pretty sure under the bed was the most obvious place for someone to hide—especially since the room is quite small itself, I figured he was just playing with me and I couldn't help but think that he knew exactly where I was. I saw his boots finally walk closer to the bed, making me silently move back until my back hit the wall. My hands trembled with fear and my legs shook with the suspense as I saw him stand directly in front of the bed with no movement whatsoever.

And then the bed was ripped from the floor, sending it to the side with a big thump. My scream was loud enough to get me out of my shocked state that I quickly crawl away towards the door and right as I'm about to get up to run, I am being grabbed by my waist. I try to get his stubborn grip off me but when that doesn't work, my foot comes in contact with his crotch, making him release me to run out the door, straight into another man's arms.

"What did I say?" The second man grits as my back was to his chest, his arm around my neck and the gun aimed at my side. It was dark outside, everyone else seemed to be asleep so therefore no one was out to witness what was currently occurring.

I didn't dare to move this time, I had a gun pressed to my ribcage and all I could do was whimper in fear. I looked inside the room to see the first one come out, grabbing his crotch uncomfortably before slamming the door shut. "Throw her in the fucking trunk, I don't give a shit." He seethes, walking downstairs towards the black truck.

"Let go of me!" I scream, kicking my feet as I was now lifted off the ground by the second stranger.

"Where do your proclivities stand? It's not very ethical of you to throw someone in the trunk." The second man retorts, he seemed to be challenging the first one. He opens the back door of the truck and just as he was about to put me inside I lift my legs and slam the door shut again, the first one comes out with some grey tape.

"No!" I shout as he walks towards us, opens the back door again and shoves me harshly inside, my arm feeling the pain from his hard grip. I attempted to open the other door but he pulls me back by my ankles. I try to kick again but he manages to wrap the tape around my ankles. "Get the fuck off me!"

"Tape her fucking mouth and tie her up." He tells the second man. "I'm not driving with her annoying the shit out of me." He throws the second man the grey tape and walks away. And with that, I am being bounded by my wrists to my back and had tape placed over my mouth.