56

Dinner seemed like a blur with chatter amongst the people in the room, the clinking of silverware on plates and the obnoxious laugh of some woman penetrated the air all around. I don't know who most of these people were, but from the looks of it everyone in this room was well acquainted with one another.

When I look up, Harry was in conversation with a man beside him, ignoring me. Vincent on his left was also in an extensive conversation and I find this as my chance to sneak away towards the backyard. I'm thankful when there's no one around so I take the liberty to sit down on a beach chair in front of the pool.

I got to thinking what my life will be like now since Harry is leaving. I mean I guess it won't make that much of a difference since I've only known Harry a couple of months. The only impact he's had on my life is a bad taste in my mouth.

I hear footsteps behind me and when I look, it's Harry. He seems to stop when he sees me. "I didn't know there was anyone out here." He says and begins to walk off but I speak.

"Wait," I call out. "Please stay." The cold air made it visible for me to see him exhale before he joins me on the beach chair besides mine. We both sit in silence for a while as we watch the blue lights in the pool.

And in the silence I got to thinking, how cold would that pool be if I were to fall in? Do I even know how to swim? I guess I've never stopped to think about that before. It's funny how you think of the most irrelevant things when the rest of the world is quiet.

"What's your plan?" I finally speak. Harry looks at me with furrowed eyebrows. "I know you're going to work for Alfio, but then what?"

Harry takes a deep breath and exhales before speaking. "I don't know."

"Do you plan to kill him?"

"I don't know, Valentina." He says sternly, running his hands on his face in annoyance. "Shit. It wasn't supposed to be like this. You know? I had a plan." He looks at me, hatred and anger mixed in the glimmer of his eyes when he looked at me. "Why can't you just—fuck. This isn't fair."

"Do you think it's been easy for me?"

"It isn't about you." He retorts. "It isn't fair to me, I was supposed to get out. Find you, deliver you and get the fuck out." His hands clasp before him as he looks out into the water. "You're dragging me down."

"What do you mean 'get out'?" I ask, hoping he doesn't yell at me and tell me to mind my own.

"I guess it doesn't matter now." He takes a carton of cigarettes from his coat and lights one.

"Harry," I say, scooching towards the edge of my chair to get closer to him. "I know we haven't exactly been seeing eye to eye lately, but I would hate for us to leave this on bad terms."

Harry scoffs. "Is your conscious tainted now?" I watch as he blows the smoke past his lips. "If I knew how deep you'd drag me in to the water I wouldn't even have dared jump in." I look down. He was right, I was having a guilty conscience now. "Too late now, huh?"

"I'm sure if you tell Vincent, he'd be able to help you."

"And tell him what?" He turns to me, eyebrows knitted together. "That his daughter killed some big shots son under my supervision and I didn't call it in? Exactly what do you think Vincent will do?"

"I don't know, but I do know he wouldn't leave you. If you were in some sort of trouble, I'm sure he'd help."

"Trouble I can handle, but that's not the point. The point is that I was supposed to be done with this shit. The running, the guns, the smell of fucking blood. I can't stand it, no matter how many showers I take, the smell always lingers." Something flashes in his eyes but he looks away, holding his hand tightly in his other. I noticed his leg bobbing up and down quickly whilst he takes another drag of his cigarette.

I wish Harry would talk, that way I would know exactly what was on his mind. Maybe he means that after doing this job, he'd leave it all behind. Maybe the running is what he's running away from, no longer being tied down to this life. So maybe why not just run one last time?

"So fuck it." I finally say, Harry looks up at me. "Don't go with Alfio. Leave, leave here. I'll tell Vincent what I did, that I had enough motive and the right to do it and he can deal with Alfio if he decides to come for me."

"That's never going to work." Harry shakes his head. "And even if it did for some miracle, there's no telling what Alfio could do. I haven't known him that long, but something tells me he won't take this lightly."

"There's no other way," I say. "I'm not going to let you just walk in there. You were there too, what do you think he'll do to you? What if this is all just a big set up? What if he already knows? This is your chance to just walk away." I wish he looked at me, so I knew what was going on in his mind.

For a while it seemed as though he would agree and just say fuck it, but that thought soon left my mind when he blew smoke and threw the cigarette on the ground between us and looks at me. "Is that your solution to everything?" He says with a look of disgust on his face. "Make a mess of things and just expect people to clean up after you?"

"I'm only trying to help." I defend, not understanding how he can switch up that fast.

"Well don't." He stands up and so do I.

"So that's it then." I call out behind him. "You're just going to leave like this."

"In what other way am I supposed to leave it? You've fucked me for good, Valentina. I've gotta go deal with it now." He continues to walk away but I stride behind him, grabbing his arm and forcing him to look at me.

"You're an asshole, but I still fucking care about you!" My tone is loud and I felt my face grow hot. "Don't do this alone. I'm begging you, let me help you."

Harry scoffs at this, taking his arm back. "You can help by staying the hell out of the way."