43

"Valentina Victoria DiMarco, how much you've grown." I stare directly at the man in front of me, unable to muster up a sentence maybe even just a word—I know I should probably think of something to say but it's as if my jaw has locked in place and the ability to speak has left me completely. "Daughter." The man takes steps towards me and I can't help but take steps back.

"I'm not your daughter," I shake my head. "You have the wrong person." The man, Vincent looks towards Harry beside me and nods making him walk away. Before I can walk after him, Vincent speaks.

"I have something I want to show you, Valentina." He now had a box in his hand when he reaches me. "Please come with me." I hesitate as I watch him walk away, I thought about walking off to find Harry but I was alone with four burly men behind me. When I look ahead, Vincent is waiting on the steps for me. His gaze, hopeful.

I take in a deep breath before sighing and walking up the steps towards him. Vincent looks at me for a moment but ultimately walks us inside and up the stairs towards the room I saw when I first got here, it still stood and I hated it. I was reluctant to go in, even when Vincent held the door open for me. "I don't like this room." I say, maintaining my feet planted by the doorway. I felt dirty in this room for some reason.

"I'm so sorry," Vincent says, his face was a soft gaze and he looked genuine. "I'm sure you're confused."

I nod. "Somewhat." I say sarcastically.

Vincent nods and walks towards a chair on the side of the room near the crib, beside it was another chair and a small white table in the middle. He sits and looks at me. "I would like to be able to convey the answers to sustain your confusion, if you'd let me." He motions to the chair beside him.

I once again hesitate, I hate this room but I do want to know what the hell is going on. So I take a deep breath and slowly walk in towards the chair, I sit. I look around for a moment, the room still pretty much giving me the creeps. Vincent looks at me with a faint smile and I look down to the box he now placed in the table between us, I nod to it. "So what did you want to show me?" I awkwardly clasp my hands together and put them between my knees in a way to stop them from bouncing with growing anxiety.

Vincent looks down to the box for a second or two before reaching for it. He takes out some photographs and sets down one of a woman, a woman I had already seen before because Harry had shown me. "My father always had one thing that he absolutely lived by and that was family. He had battled greatly with cancer, for years. You'd think a terminal disease would get him a bit of humility, but my father was a mean son of a bitch up until the end. He threatened to remove me from the will if I didn't start a family." Vincent chuckles ruefully at the memory.

He sets down another picture, this looked like my father at a young age, I reach for the picture and look at it closely. "Fiore and I knew each other from boyhood, we were like brothers and people treated us as such." He clenched his jaw and shakes his head disapprovingly. Another picture, this was my mother. "Frida was amongst us in our teenage years. She was a lifeguard at the local pool and even though we had a pool in our backyard, we would go just to see her." Vincent seems to admire my mother's picture a little longer.

"When you're young and rich, you feel like nothing can touch you. Everybody knew my father was a mafia leader, and people sort of treated us like royalty. There came a point where being friends with Fiore wasn't as easy as it once was. He liked the power that came with his father being a successful business owner, and having the son of a mafia leader in his circle just worked in his favor. Still, he was almost sort of envious. The moment he saw me getting close to Frida, he told me he was going to marry her one day. Understandably I stepped back."