28

We drove back to the house in complete and rigid silence. So much so that it actually hurt to sit there with nothing but the sound of the engine roaring and the occasional screech of the tires from how hard Harry turns. For the remainder of the car ride, all I did was look ahead, occasionally looking down to my hands, my nails itching at my skin, leaving the skin raw. I hated the anxiety Harry gave me.

As soon as we reach the house, Zayn is sitting outside on the steps smoking a cigarette. Once he sees us pull in, he stands up and throws the last of the stick and stomps on it. I close my door, my hands wrap around me in a way to shield me from the cold wind. Harry walks ahead, taking a carton of cigarettes from his pocket. He reaches for Zayn's lighter on the steps and uses it to light his cigarette. Zayn glares. "Where the fuck have you been?" He seethes, his eyebrows were lowered in an angry manner in which I have never seen before, not from Zayn at least. He always had kind brown eyes.

"Nowhere that should concern you." Harry retorts, taking a long drag from his cigarette. He leans on the cement rail, one foot on the top step and the other on the ground.

"Where's the bag, Styles?" Zayn pushes and I just watch from below.

"Why don't you mind your goddamned business and keep your fucking nose out of mine?"

"Keep your two fucking cents you prick," Zayn spits. "If I find out you're tainting this mission-"

"What?" Harry walks closer to Zayn, arms length apart. "What is it you think you'll do?" Harry challenges, blowing the smoke onto Zayn's face. At this, Zayn pushes Harry back.

"I don't know why they thought you were fit for this job," Zayn remarks bitterly, looking down at Harry. "You are deliberately putting her life at risk and going against directive."

"You gonna rat me out, Zayn?" Harry clenches his jaw. "You know what happens to rats around here." Harry points his cigarette at Zayn, scrutinizing him. "We kill them."

"Are you threatening me?" Zayn scoffs.

"Why?" Harry gives him a faint smirk, tilting his head to the side a bit to mock him further. He was obviously pleased with Zayn's reaction. "Do you feel threatened?"

Instead of Zayn responding to Harry, he turns in my direction, Harry glances at me, sucking on his cigarette. "Where did he take you?"

I don't really know why he decided to turn to me. Maybe he expects me to answer him with honesty but with the way Harry is looking at me in that same kiss or kill you look that he masters, it has me cowering away. "To the gym." I lie, my gaze remaining on Harry. Zayn looks disappointed at me, he sucks in a breath and turns to Harry.

"You've gotten her to lie for you now?"

"I don't need anyone to lie for me."

"Right, of course you don't." Zayn circles Harry in a threatening manner. "Just don't go dragging anymore of us in your shit. Some of us actually know where the limit is."

Just as Zayn was walking off back inside, Harry hums mockingly, his finger taps the lighter making it light up. "You sure sound very limited for someone who sent people to kill his own father." I turn to Zayn, my mouth and eyes wide at this revelation.

Zayn turns, yanking the lighter from Harry's hand. "Fuck you." He spits on the step by Harry's boot before he walks away, slamming the front door behind him angrily. I turned to Harry, watching as he nonchalantly finishes off his cigarette as if nothing had happened. As if he hadn't just dropped a bomb on us.

And this is why he scared me, he had the ability to kill you without you even knowing he was planning it all in his head. Harry stomps out the cigarette and blows the last bit of smoke from his lips. I didn't know what to say. I knew Harry was bad, but I didn't think he was evil.