48

Between the Bars, Elliott Smith.
Nitesky, Robot Koch & John Lamonica.
Josephine, Tanner Usrey.
Look After You, The Fray.

Those are the four songs that Harry added to my playlist. Up until this point, I never imagined Harry listening to music and certainly not love songs. I guess this was him showing me a side of his that I've never met before, gentle and caring. I binged all four songs while I was bedridden, day and night until I knew the lyrics to them all.

The songs weren't like any love songs, they were filled with raw emotion, hurt more so than anything else especially with Josephine by Tanner Usrey. That was about loss and grief. I guess Harry is into depressing music but I can't blame him, they were beautiful.

Despite the knocks on my bedroom door, I found it hard for me to look away from what I was doing on the screen, by now my new playlist was at least eight hours long. Perfect for whatever unexpected car ride I would take. "Come in."

Maybe I should've asked who it was, a part of me hoped it would be Zayn who walked in through those doors but of course Zayn was still pretty much cold towards me. Not to mention, I haven't seen much of him.

He didn't even bother to come see me after the accident, not even to ask if I was okay.

When I look up from the screen, it's Vincent that comes in. Immediately the room is filled with an awkward tension, mainly from me. "How are you doing, kid?"

Kid.

Has the fact that I'm a 19 year old woman completely left his mind? "I'm okay." I say with a shrug. Vincent nods and stuffs his hands inside the pockets of his jeans, he contemplates sitting on the edge of my bed but instead, he grabs the chair in front of my desk and pulls it towards him.

As he does this, I hide the iPod in my hand but he catches this. "What've you got there?"

"Nothing." I say almost instantly. I just got this, I didn't need him taking it away.

"Valentina, I am not going to take it away." He says and this brings me some slight reassurance. I bring out the iPod and Vincent looks at it before looking back to me. "What the hell did you go through?"

"Discipline." I mumble the same words my father used to say to me, almost hearing his voice. Vincent reaches his hand out for the device and I hesitantly hand it over. He puts the earphones in and clicks on a song, softly bobbing his head to the beat.

"Kings of Leon were a favorite of mine as a teenager." He says, removing the earphones and handing it back to me. "Music was an escape for me for all those years I couldn't physically escape. You can find a song that matches your situation perfectly and you feel heard, you feel understood."

I shake my head. "I don't get it," I say. "If you were innocent, why not just get out? You're obviously a powerful man, you could've easily gotten out."

"Sometimes life isn't always that easy, kid." He sighs, looking down at his hands. "I may not have been guilty of what I was accused but I was guilty. I was guilty of being a shitty person, a shitty son and a shitty husband. I paid my price in prison, in exchange that has made me a better person. Sometimes, we have to deal with things that don't serve us to learn lessons."

I guess I had never seen it that way, my father would've definitely paid his way out. I stay silent for a while, looking at the patterns on my blanket. I know what Vincent is trying to do, he's trying to slowly get close to me. Everything he's told me aligns and I don't know what's exactly blocking me from letting him get close to me.

I know for a fact this man would protect me with his all and never let harm come my way. Quite frankly, he'd be a much better father figure than the one I grew up with. Maybe if I'm scared of letting him in, its because I've already lost a father and if he really is who he says he is, I doubt I'd want to lose him as well.