Chapter 1:Under a Starry Sky

It was a perfect spring day, the breeze wound about me, teasing my long red hair as I walked with a smile towards the train station. I hadn't been in Japan in what felt like ages. I had been stationed here for a couple years with the US army in Tokyo, and fell in love with the culture and people. I grew up on the south side of Chicago, and this was worlds apart. As a small kid, I loved old movies with Bruce Lee, and became enthralled with the grace and even the mental fortitude and honor system of "The Way of the Samurai". I started Kendo at age 8, and by the time I actually got to be stationed in Japan, I was quite good. My only regret when my tenure in Tokyo was over, was the fact that I didn't get to visit many of the most notable places in Japanese history.

Now, four years later, my Japanese language studies had paid off, and I was once again visiting the lands I had missed so much. It was a combination working vacation so to speak. After I left the military, I went into fashion design. Yea, I know. Weird choice. I went from sewing up people as a combat medic, to sewing clothes. Honestly, I always made clothes. I started with costumes for cos-play, and loved it so much, that when I got out of the Army, I used my benefits from the military to get a bachelors in fashion design.

I never left my love of Kendo behind tho, and I had just finished the first three days of my vacation at the Nippon Budokan in Tokyo participating in the World Kendo Championships. As a third place winner of the US National tournament in San Jose, California, I had earned the trip. I came in 5th place in the Tokyo competitions, and considering my status as a foreigner, I was more than pleased with the results. I mean really. I may not have placed, but I was 5th in the World. Hell, if I wanted to, I could start my own dojo. Tempting idea. Now I needed the break, and it was time to party.

My phone rang as I stepped off the bullet train in Kyoto. I dug around in my purse, quickly knocking aside the magazine I had purchased earlier, and answered in English before the name "Sasuke" registered in the dim recesses of my brain. We were the same age, and I had met him back when I was in the Army. He had come to base as one of the student ninjitsu instructors, and we had hit it off. Even after I left Japan, we still stayed in touch. He was a graduate student now, and in Physics no less. I wasn't the only one who wanted to turn a hobby into a job.

"Hey, Sasuke! I finally made it!" I quickly realized my mistake and switched to fluent, if heavily accented, Japanese. "Where are you at? I just got off the bullet in Kyoto." The sun was just starting to set, a mix of gold and orange, with the dark purple of storm clouds gathering at the horizon.

"You know, I still can't get used to your accent. You sound like an old black and white gangster movie."

"I'll have you know, Al Capone may have been a sadistic bastard, but he was a business genius." I grew up on the south side of Chicago, and while you can take the girl out of the city, it still tended to color my conversations, especially when I was upset or excited. "I do agree with you though. Its like you with a Texas accent. It would be way too damn weird." The thought of an Asian man with a Texas accent made me smile in its absurdity.

"Agreed." His easy way of talking instantly soothed my nerves. Sasuke was a good friend, almost like an older brother in alot of ways. "What were your plans for tonight?"

I sat down on the edge of a planter that lined the side of the busy street, perching myself on the edge of the concrete and fished out the magazine I had bought earlier. I couldn't resist the cover. 'A Traveler's Guide to Japan's Hottest Warlords'. I had looked through the contents, with all the different Warlords of the Sengoku Era listed. I was interested in Japanese history, even if I wasn't very good at it. Its not exactly something they teach in depth in the US. I knew the names though, and a bit of the histories. Each one was fascinating in his own way, from Yukimura Sanada and his spear, to the One-Eyed Dragon, Masumune Date.