Chapter 43: Lord's Council

Meanwhile.....Back in Azuchi....

Masamune's long measured steps rang out as he briskly headed down the wooden walkways from his manor to Nobunaga's council chambers. A messenger had come this morning from Nobunaga summoning everyone, and he could only hope it was with good news for a change.

The past two weeks since the conflicts with Kenshin and Kennyo had been busy ones. While Kennyo had been soundly trounced once Nobunaga broke off his fight with Kenshin, the amount of wounded and the supplies lost during the battle were considerable, and were going to take time to replenish. Add in the fact that a displeased God of War had taken Nobunaga's lucky charm, and morale had noticeably dropped.

Nobunaga's plan to have the Oda Princess be a symbol to the men worked, and it had worked well. Even now, if they were to take volunteers to rescue Alexis, they would have to turn men away. That included the Warlords themselves. Masamune was pulled out of his brief thoughts as a door opened a little ways ahead of him, and he slowed down to greet Mitsunari as he stepped out from his offices.

"Morning, Mitsunari." Masamune gave a brief nod as Mitsunari whirled around his eyes wide.

"Oh! Masamune!" Mitsunari's hand came up, pressed up against his chest. "You startled me!" Masamune raised an eyebrow as he stopped in front of Mitsunari.

"You really need to learn to be more aware of your surroundings, Mitsunari. It's not as if I'm quiet."

It was a very bad habit of Mitsunari's to get completely absorbed in whatever he was doing. If the man was reading, it was impossible to tear his attention away. He was more absorbent than a sponge, sucking up knowledge at a frightening pace, and able to recall it almost word for word when asked. Mitsunari was a genius, brilliant at tactics, but he had a definitive glaring drawback. The guy was completely clueless when it came to social interactions.

"Save your breath, Masamune. This idiot doesn't understand the concept."

Ieyasu came around the corner, joining into the conversation. Mitsunari smiled broadly, making his handsome face even more radiant.

"Good Morning, Lord Ieyasu."

As usual, Ieyasu's biting comment went completely over Mitsunari's head, much to the irritation of the Tokugawa warlord. The three men continued down the walkway, moving with hurried steps.

"Do you think Lord Nobunaga will have news about Princess Alexis? I'm really worried about her." Mitsunari's whole demeanor screamed concerned, from the frown on his otherwise angelic face, to the waver in his lavender eyes.

It was actually a bit surprising to Masamune to hear the concern in Mitsunari's voice. Mitsunari didn't lack compassion, but it was unusual that he would get so attached. Usually Mitsunari didn't bother himself with the actions of others, always more interested in his books and scrolls.

"Well, I doubt that Kennyo has rebuilt enough of his army to challenge us again after the beating we gave him." Masamune's mouth turned up into a feral grin remembering the battle. "However, I do think that this place is far too quiet without the Lass here. She did keep things lively."

"I certainly don't think so. She was a pain in the ass." Ieyasu growled out the words, not bothering to look at either of his companions as he walked. Mitsunari looked over at Ieyasu, confusion in his lavender eyes.

"But Ieyasu...didn't you just say you missed having her here only yesterday?"

Ieyasu almost stumbled, missing a step as he looked over sharply at Mitsunari, his face quickly turning red.