Chapter 16: Getting to Know You...

Kenshin and Shingen exchanged looks of disbelief as Yuki slowly sat up, making Shingen hurry to his side to help him.

"You okay, Yuki?"

"Oh, sure. Not as if Sasuke hasn't done the same thing to me." He stretched, holding his back for a second, before swinging his arms forward. "She took me completely by surprise though."

Kenshin finally became unfrozen and downed his sake, poured himself another and immediately downed that too, before setting the cup down and staring at Yuki and Shingen, searching for answers.

Kenshin wasn't exactly sure what he had just seen. One minute she was standing there in front of Yukimura, and the next, Yukimura was gasping on the ground, and she was walking away yet again. What just happened? Did she just throw Yukimura as if it was nothing? Kenshin was astounded, and more than a little impressed. Could she have been able to handle the bandits herself? No, that is a ridiculous notion. How would she unarmed? He gathered his thoughts and narrowed his eyes at Yukimura and Shingen. They were startled, but not surprised at what Alexis just did.

"What the hell was that?"

Shingen put a hand on Yukimura's shoulders making sure he wasn't actually injured, before turning to Kenshin.

"That was Yukimura getting his ass tossed. I would think that after as many times as you've done it to him yourself, you would be able to recognize it."

It looked as if the God of War was actually attempting to keep from killing Shingen right then and there.

"That is not what I'm talking about and you know it." Kenshin ground his teeth in irritation, trying to keep from just walking over and strangling Shingen just on principle.

"What are you talking about, Kenshin?" Yukimura looked confused. "She told us herself last week that she trained with Sasuke. Did you forget?"

"Odds are Yuki, that he dismissed it completely." Shingen turned to Kenshin with thinly veiled disdain in his eyes.

Could...could that be true? Kenshin turned his mismatched eyes in the direction Alexis had left in. It did look like a technique Sasuke had used before. It was at the tea house last time they had talked. Well, she talked to Shingen and Yukimura, not to him. He had barely even looked at her. He couldn't. He had been distracted then the same as today. She was distracting.

"Either way, if you are alright Yuki, I'm going to go after her. I still don't think she should be out alone." Shingen had finished helping Yuki to his feet, and was looking towards the direction Alexis had gone in.

Over his dead body. Kenshin was in no way letting Shingen get near her without him there. Or for that matter ever getting near her. He paused. Where did that come from? Never mind. He had made up his mind to go after her.

"Troublesome woman." Kenshin stood up and gave a warning glare to Shingen, pointedly ignoring the identical questioning looks he was getting. "I'll go after her. Stay with your vassal."

"Hmm. Why the sudden interest, Kenshin?" Shingen gave him a sly smile, as if he knew something Kenshin didn't want him to. Kenshin's eyes instantly narrowed, pinning him with a cold black look.

"Don't be stupid. I promised Sasuke I would look after her."

Kenshin headed in the direction he had seen her go in, dismissing the two of them completely. He didn't have any other motives. Who do they think they are? He scanned roadway in front of him, and only by chance did he notice her bright red hair shining in the sun far ahead. It was only a glimpse as she went out past the edge of the buildings outside town. She's outside town? Where is she going?