Chapter 35: A Day in the Dungeon

Waking up in the dungeon again wasn't just another day, although it certainly seemed to be starting that way. To be completely honest, it was a bit of a disappointment. Here I thought I had been making -some- progress at least. I was still dressed upon waking, and the dagger that Kenshin had given me was lying close by my side when I woke. I guess I can be sorta happy with that, knowing that Kenshin trusts that I won't use it unless I need to. It's so damn weird though. I can have a weapon in the cell, but I have to stay in the cell?

With a sigh, I laid my bandaged arm across my face, thoroughly discouraged. Last night was eventful to say the least, and I would have thought that with everything that went down, I might get at least a little leeway here. What the Hell do I have to do at this point to get Kenshin to understand that I care about him, and I'm not going anywhere?

Out of the corner of the eye, I saw something that hadn't been there before, and I turned turned my head to look. A wooden box? That wasn't there yesterday. I sat up in my futon and on second glance, realized it was the medical kit from last night.

I noticed the medical box close to the side of the cell, and went over to it. I lifted the lid and set it to the side, examining the contents. It contained all the things I would need to take care of general everyday cuts and scrapes, as well as materials to care for much larger wounds. After my little stunt yesterday, I guess I'm expected to make sure I take care of my injury. Either Kenshin or Sasuke had put this here, but I have no illusions as to who ordered it delivered. Kenshin's upset last night at my cutting myself wasn't a fluke. He cared, and almost too much it seems. That alone still gave me a little hope.

I spent some time cleaning and redressing my forearm, before putting away the supplies, still deep in thought, a frown plastered across my face. I'm really getting annoyed. I stood in the center of the room, restless as anything. My thoughts kept racing as I went behind the screen and dressed in an actual kimono today. I'd say I wanted to look feminine and approachable but the truth of the matter is that my other clothes were all dirty.

Kenshin isn't budging on keeping me down here is he? I know I need to give the guy time. Whatever it was that happened to him in his past, made it so that he had a very hard time letting me get close. I know this, and completely understand it in my head. My heart is a completely different matter. I'm starting to lose patience with this whole situation.

I walked forward to the cell door, and looked closely at the lock. It's not that I really want to escape. I'm just curious. Really.... Fuck that, I want to be able to come and go as I please. I took a long hard look at the locking mechanism on the cell door. I figured it couldn't be all that hard. I mean, Sasuke picked it once already for me, didn't he?

The lock itself was built into the thickness of the slatted wooden door, anchored by what looked like a primitive bolt system. It was securely wedged into the wood, and it was highly doubtful that the whole thing would be able to be removed easily. Picking the lock itself looked simple as hell though. It helps that I understand the mechanisms of a lock, and had even practiced with Sasuke back in our time. I hated being locked out of my apartment, so I learned how to pick a lock if I had to.

Usually, there was nothing in a cell, but fortunately for me, Kenshin wanted to spoil me, at least in furnishings and items if not in freedom. Glancing around the room, there wasn't anything even remotely suitable for the fine art of lock-picking. I don't need something as small as a hairpin, since that wouldn't work anyway. This lock was larger and clunkier than the ones in my present, and if I can open one of those, this one should be a piece of cake.

I had a thought along those lines though. I wonder if I can use a hair stick to pick the lock? I went to the top drawer of the dresser Kenshin had given me, and looked through the wealth of hair accessories that were stored within. So damn many! I never really bothered to look in here, not needing decoration for my hair when I'm stuck down here. I mean, who's going to see me? I could look nice for Kenshin but with my mood right now as it is, I don't feel like doing him any favors.