[ 02 ] mechanic's panic

1

1.2. | MECHANIC'S PANIC

___

ABBY CALLS ME in for work that day, requiring more hands to tend to the uncharacteristically long line of people outside of medical, almost all of them showing symptoms of oxygen deprivation. I have just left the company of another nurse who's attaching an oxygen mask to the face of a struggling child, when Raven appears in the middle of the troubled citizens of the Ark, right as Abby walks out of the clinic.

One faux cough from Raven is a well enough sign that informs us she isn't actually sick, but I excuse myself and approach her with rushed steps, pulling out a small light and shining it into her eyes.

''Abby?'' I put on a falsely alarmed voice and call for the main doctor, internally praying that my acting abilities are believable enough to not cause suspicion. The woman walks up to us and we begin leading Raven through the curtains, where we can finally drop the act.

''All those people out there?'' Raven gasps lowly, a pair of perfectly shaped eyebrows scrunching up.

While I only nod somberly, Abby offers a verbal answer, ''Oxygen deprivation. It's just the beginning. Why are you here?''

''I messed up. I can't get the part. Nygel wants me to--''

''You went to Nygel?'' Abby cuts the mechanic off, forehead lifting in disbelief. I attach my fingers to my temple, rolling my lips. Nygel is known to be a slippery individual somewhere in the depths of the Ark's society; the authorities have been trying to catch her in the act for years.

''Yeah..'' Raven confesses shamefully, having a clear understanding of the risk she has taken.

''My dad's been trying to get her for years. Did anybody see you?'' I drag my gaze across our surroundings, lowering my voice.

''I don't know. No,'' Raven hesitates, then addresses the older woman in front of us, ''Abby, I'm trying to tell you we can't launch today.''

Abby goes quiet. She thinks for a moment.

''Are you sure Nygel has the part?'' Her inquisitive tone causes me to stop running my hands over my face and look up in curiosity. I can practically hear the wheels spinning in her head.

The brunette next to me is confident with her answer as she replies curtly, "Yeah, she can get it."

''Okay," Abby nods to herself, as some sort of confirmation of her own inner monologue, "I'll take care of it.''

My lips part in surprise and I'm unable to control the high pitch in my voice as I flail my arms out to the side, ''What? How? Let me get it, I can, I don't know, threaten her with my dad or something.''

''No, Emily," Abby denies strictly with a dismissive shake of her head, "Nygel is too clever, she'd walk around the situation and get you in trouble. I'll do it.''