[ 01 ] apologies

2

2.1. | APOLOGIES

___

WHEN I OPEN my eyes, the first thing I notice is that the dropship is empty. I lie on the floor, face to face with the dull grey ceiling, but I still feel the eerie lack of souls here. There is a single blanket rolled up and placed under my head, leaving me to wonder who did it. But still, a bad feeling settles deep into the core of my chest as I let my eyes dart from side to side in confusion, sensing that something is off. It's unusually, suspiciously quiet, and the bright light of the sun is bleeding in through the curtains, illuminating the room with a soft glow that is still too bright for my liking. The delinquents are always loud as shit, annoyingly so, so there is definitely something missing. Something wrong.

My whole body feels uncomfortable. I wouldn't say I am in extreme pain, as it is more like a dull, stubborn ache, but it still feels strange. Deciding it must be from sleeping on the floor, I rush to stand up, only to be stopped by a new hit of pain that rattles the muscles of my entire body. Have I been run over? A groan slips past my lips. Then, the agony subsides as fast as it appeared, but my left shoulder still pulsates with that very same, dull ache.

"Emily?" A voice utters, making me jump in fright. I crane my neck and see Raven, who weakly holds her head up to look at me. I puff out a breath of relief, pushing my upper body up with the palm of my right hand and with the help my legs, afraid to move the other arm that's by now grown a second, twig-like limb — the stupid frickin' arrow.

''God, Raven! I almost had a stroke!'' I force out, my good hand patting down my chest that rises up and down rapidly. The girl winces in pain, a frown stretching across my face. I remember. And I still can't help.

''How are you feeling?'' I ask, dragging my fingers underneath the arrow to see how badly it's bleeding. Fortunately, it doesn't look too bad, because when I draw my hand back to inspect my fingertips, they are barely stained. I know it's because the arrow itself is keeping me from bleeding, plugging the wound closed, but I still have to get the arrow out as soon as possible. Raven sends me a tired look, her head lolling to the side. I press my lips together. "Right, dumb question."

"What about yo—" Raven begins, but I lift the pointer finger of my good hand to my lips, motioning for her to be quiet. I face the entrance of the dropship and let my eyes settle onto a growing shadow, signalling that someone is approaching the doorway. Judging by the shape, I assume it's a Grounder, with huge, wide limbs and spikes and shapes that can only be armor encasing them.

I whip my head back to face my friend, jerking my chin out to a rifle next to her. She blinks back, one brow twitching in confusion. I grit my teeth, nodding to the gun again, my movements becoming more frantic as the shadow on the curtains grows bigger in size. Raven turns her head to the side slightly, then looks back at me. She places a finger on her chest, furrowing her eyebrows.