[ 20 ] beginning of the end

[ 2.20. BEGINNING OF THE END ]

___

MY HEAD FORCEFULLY slams into the stone wall in front of me. My lungs scream for oxygen, as the intake of it has been restricted for the past few moments, but to me, those moments seem to stretch out for hours. My whole body aches and surely some bruises are already forming, as well as a headache begins to blossom in the side of my head that got slammed against the wall.

My breath comes out in sharp pants, but I don't have time to recover from the hit as he grabs my wrist, pulling me away from the wall and around to face him.

"Come on, we gotta go!" Bellamy rasps out, dragging me along with him as he picks up his pace once again, leading me into a dark, narrow tunnel. The lights that stretch across the entirety of the way flicker in and out eerily.

"Are you okay?" He inquires a few seconds into the escape, breathing just as shallow as mine. I wince sharply, dragging a hand across my forehead, hoping my feet don't give out and force me to collapse.

"I'm fine," I hiss out through gritted teeth, "Just knocked into some machinery, no big deal. Do you think we got away?"

Bellamy throws his head over his shoulder, discovering that the door we escaped through just moments prior is still shut. As soon as he sees a vent, he manages to somehow move even faster, pulling my hand along with him, "I hope so. But now they know you exist. Get in." He commands as soon as the vent cover falls to the ground.

I push myself up, using the pipes on the wall for support and sliding into the familiar environment of the vents again, allowing Bellamy to climb in after me. I crawl in until I'm a safe distance away and wait for him as he tries his best to hide our tracks by pushing in the plastic bars.

"Forget that, I'm gonna be fine. I even got a gun. The question is, what do we do now?" I scowl, resuming my now somewhat expertly crafted crawl technique.

As soon as the 44 were separated into the homes of our new allies, Bellamy and I had left with the goal to finally find the source of the acid fog. Somewhere in the midst of said mission, three guards had shown up out of nowhere, thus forcing us to run for our lives around a completely unfamiliar setting of Mount Weather's lowest point.

Two of the guards had caught up with us, which resulted in the fastest fight of our lives. I managed to escape with no guard-inflicted injuries, whereas Bellamy ended up with busted up knuckles. He had used his fists, but I had grabbed the first heavy object I saw. I didn't even check if the guard was still alive; I just grabbed his gun. Something tells me that once the adrenaline dies down, I'm gonna obsess over it for as much as I can.