[ 19 ] vincent's couch

[ 2

[ 2.19. VINCENT'S COUCH ]

-

"THEY CAME OUT less than they were when they went in. Looked pretty beat, but now we have to go," I urgently inform, having just rolled out of the vents; Bellamy had told Maya and I about the planned attack on level 5, which is currently under the rule of the 100, so I took it upon myself to watch the whole ordeal through a vent, just to make sure everything goes smoothly. It had been hard, staying put while the Mountain men attempted to take control, but the smug hold of satisfaction pressed the urge to join in back when the trained soldiers retreated from the wrath of a group of teenagers.

"Go where?" Bellamy asks, immediately standing up straight and catching me by my elbows. I dust myself off, looking at Maya.

"They somehow grabbed Fox, I can only assume she's next in line to be skewered. We can't let anything happen to her."

Maya nods curtly, already stepping out of the corner of the deserted hallway and beginning to lead us away. Bellamy and I follow right after, moving fast yet still cautiously, with strong determination to not get caught.

We have picked up our pace to a light jog when Bell addresses me, "Was anyone else injured? Are the rest of them okay?"

"Not that I know of, no," I shake my head, "they should all be fine. Right now our main priority is Fox, other than that they're going strong."

"We'll make sure Fox is safe, I promise," Bellamy sets his jaw in determination. I don't reply; only nod curtly.

It takes us a few moments to get to the extraction chamber, as we have to keep the safe distance between ourselves and the guards that are carrying or, well, dragging Fox, but we manage to sneak up behind them and stay by the entrance. Bellamy silently motions for Maya and I to step back, before he points to his gun. I assume we both get the idea of what he's about to do.

He waits a few moments; Fox's screams of plea bleed into the background and then enter the hallway we are standing in, causing Maya to become rigid next to me. Her astonishment morphs into hesitant relief as I grasp her hand, squeezing it in silent support and reaching for comfort of my own simultaneously.

The next thing I register is the fact that Bellamy calmly steps into the room, pistol held up in the air. There's a set of footsteps heard before they halt, assuming that they are cut off by Bellamy's arrival. A breathy mutter of "thanks" follows, and shortly after, someone fires two shots and it falls silent, only heavy thumps filling the air. Maya and I make eye contact, waiting for a signal of some sort.

A second passes. "Bellamy!" Someone cries. It's Fox.

I pull away from the wall and walk into the room, chest deflating in relief upon seeing an uninjured yet sobbing Fox being held by Bellamy. My lips twitch up in victory, watching as the young girl clutches onto her saviour and gazes across his shoulder, offering me a look full of relief. I gently smile at her, waving.