[ 21 ] live to see another day

[ 2.21. LIVE TO SEE ANOTHER DAY ]

____

"WHAT THE HELL?" I ask shakily, breath hitching in the back of my throat. Bellamy doesn't answer, only straightens himself up and rushes away from the staircase, approaching the monitor. I speak again, spinning around to face him, "What do you mean, it's not down?"

"There's another scale under the stairs and it's still working," quickly explains Bellamy, so I jump to arrive by his side as he glances down at the monitor we had just been working with. Quietly, he slams a hand down agaisnt the side of the platform, "Fuck!"

My eyebrows thread into a frown of puzzlement, as when I look down, I see that the modern scale stands at the steady pH of 7, yet something still feels off, "Maybe-- Maybe it's just an older mechanism, like, uh, shit, I have no clue. Raven?"

My finger stays on my earpiece for a few seconds, but there's no answer from the mechanic or the engineer. It's very unlike Raven; she wouldn't leave our side. Through nervous huffs, Bellamy also tries, "Raven, we got a problem! Raven, where are you?"

"Damn it, Raven, we think the acid fog isn't down, we have to warn Clarke and the army!" I look up to Bellamy as I mention our friend, also informing him of the urgency of the situation. If the army is marching towards here already, they will never know what's coming.

Suddenly, the monitor chirps cheerfully, almost as if it's mocking us, and the arrow of the scale begins falling until it reaches 0. It feels like the acid fog already seeps into the room, stuffing the air with the sting of terror and infiltrating my lungs with the same speed as the arrow that is warning us with hues of ruby red on the screen. A gasp gets stuck in my throat as if I choke on the thickening air and I am only capable of blankly staring as Bellamy calls, "No!"

Then, as if on que, a shrill alarm begins blaring throughout the mountain, managing to rip me out of shock and causing me to tilt my head towards the platform of stairs in front of us. The door beside it rattles in place and it is evident that people are on the other side of it as multiple strong knocks echo between the walls of metal. Bellamy and I freeze once again, yet my hand travels to my back, where a gun lays tucked into my waistband. I pull it out immediately, while Bellamy tugs at my free hand.

I whip my head to the side to face him, lips parting and closing as I fight to find words. This is it, we are caught. There's no way out. Yet, the man next to me urges me to follow him as he tears his gaze away from the quivering doors and towards a stray barrel behind us, "Come on! We're blowing this thing!"

He turns me towards the direction he was looking in mere moments prior, but the loud screech of the once blocked doors slamming open interrupts us, unveiling a pair of Mount Weather guards, each carrying a pistol, "Drop your weapons!"

We take off running and make our way down the narrow pathways surrounded by the countless mechanisms. Adrenaline supports me more than my own two feet, bidding me from looking back or slowing down at all, which also allows me to stick firmly by Bellamy's side even when his movements are swift and efficient. Our breathing is heavy around us, more from the fear of getting caught than the running itself, and I struggle to control it as well as the racing of my heart that is close to growing up to dangerous speeds; I need to hear what is happening behind us. If it wasn't for the continuous warning yells somewhere a few rows back, I would have no idea they were really following us.