[ 05 ] foghorns and sisters

1

1.5. | FOGHORNS AND SISTERS

___

IT'S ALREADY DAYTIME when we pack up from our resting spot and continue our search for Bellamy's sister. By then, my head has stopped throbbing and my vision clears considerably fast, the rays of the morning sun that reach through the trees finally settle in focus and seem as beautiful as ever.

We are all spread out evenly, yet stay in each other's sight for safety reasons. From the distance, I begin following Finn as he approaches Bellamy, ''I got nothing.''

''We lost the trail,'' I add solemnly, carefully stepping over some grown out tree roots.

In response, Bellamy simply orders, ''Keep looking.''

''Wandering around aimlessly isn't the way to find your sister. We should backtrack,'' Finn points out, turning to face the older man with a shallow frown. He doesn't halt his movements at all, pointedly glaring at nothing in particular around the area.

''I'm not going back,'' Bellamy snaps back immediately and I don't have a chance to say anything before a girl behind us calls out for our attention.

''Hey, where's John?''

My eyes automatically move to a frantically rocking Jasper, who inspects his surroundings once again before speaking. "I just saw him a second ago!"

''Spread out. He couldn't have gotten that far!'' Bellamy raises his voice enough for everyone to hear, the entire group dispersing in different directions.

I twirl around on my heels to check out the way we came from, following two other delinquents, until something flops down right in front of me and lands with a dull crack just mere inches away from my feet. If it hadn't been for Aiden, I would've tripped right over... whatever that is, but he catches me effortlessly.

After he sheepishly frees my arm from his grasp, I silently thank him with a nod and divert my attention elsewhere; to what I now find out, is a body. A dead one at that.

Laying there, on the soft bedding of moss, is the lifeless body of John, his throat slit and dark red liquid coating his skin and clothes. The empty look in his lifeless eyes as they stare up at the sky permanently sticks in front of my eyes as an everlasting image, ingraining itself into my mind that screams at me to listen to the people around me, but I can't look away. I don't move as Jasper pulls me away by my hand and forces me to look away and over his shoulder. I don't move when I see the blurry silhouette of a man staring right back at me, so I only manage to gulp out a small 'there'. I don't move until Bellamy pushes me to run, shouting at us to go faster and faster, and faster.

___

It feels like I am still stuck in a trance as I run for my life, jumping down multiple slopes and over fallen trees, until the voice of my best friend reaches my ears, ''I can't run much longer.''