[ 04 ] you want him

2

2.4. | YOU WANT HIM

___

WHEN I'M FREED from the Alpha station prison, only then I realize that me going on this mission is pretty useless. I can't really hold a rifle properly due to my injured shoulder, I am a little sluggish from the pain meds. Then again, it would be hard to explain if the guards came back and saw that I am the only one there, when it should be three people. I also can't just walk around the camp freely, seeing how I was locked up just mere hours ago, so, logically, I still end up having to go with them after meeting with Abby, who, turns out, organized this whole thing behind my father's back. You go, woman!

So, here I am, my arm now resting in a sling, which really is just a random piece of fabric tied around my shoulder (courtesy of Abby) and a Bellamy by my side, who refuses to walk more than a few inches away from me. I mean, I'm not complaining. He makes for comfortable company.

It's midday, the sunlight bleeding toward the ground through the tops of the trees and birds chirping gleefully, their mindset so much different than ours. None of the sounds of nature go unnoticed; we walk quietly, rarely mustering up a single word. The silence breaks only when Bellamy asks Murphy for further directions.

''Where to now, Murphy?'' He barely even turns his head to look at the younger boy. When he releases a scoff in response, Bellamy's movements come to a halt, waiting to hear what he has to say this time.

''How about we lose these first, huh?'' Murphy holds up his hands, still held together with plastic cable ties.

I twist around to face the two of them, rolling my eyes. Bellamy curtly replies, ''No, again.''

The teenager inches closer to Bellamy, ''If we get attacked, I have nothing to defend myself with!''

''Oh, yeah? And what am I supposed to do? In case you haven't noticed, I'm on the same boat as you are,'' raising my eyebrows, I point to my left arm. I am at just as big of a disadvantage as he is.

''In case you haven't noticed,'' Murphy mocks my tone, smiling in a sardonic manner, ''your boyfriend has taken you under his wing.''

I feel my skin grow hot the moment I hear the way he refers to Bellamy. My head turns just in time to see Bellamy craning his neck to face me. I refuse to meet his eyes and mumble to myself, ''You have a point.''

Finn, who swiftly brushes past me, snaps Murphy's restraints in half. He wordlessly returns to his position in front of the line, thus, walking just a couple of feet ahead of me.

As Murphy thanks Finn, I recover from my embarrassingly long blushing fit, mustering up the courage to meet Bellamy's eyes, which hold the same amount of confusion as mine. Impulsively, I offer him a one-shouldered hug, though it more so resembles a weak pat of the back, before he picks up his pace to catch up with our companion, starting to interrogate him, leaving me behind with Sterling and Monroe. After a short while, Finn's legs carry him faster away from Bellamy, so Murphy takes it as his cue to nag the latter again. Upon seeing him nearing Bellamy, my legs start moving faster involuntarily.