[ 07 ] none of us

2

2.7. | NONE OF US

___

AS SOON AS MY FRIENDS disappear out of sight, it is time for me to go on my own, solo mission. The Ark has been down on the ground for several days, yet I've only been here for a couple of hours total, excluding the period of time when I was arrested after ten short minutes of meeting my dad and locked in a room with Murphy and Bellamy. So, as I finally have time to properly adjust to our home and its sudden change in location, I decide I will start with catching up with those closest to me, my grandmother being first on the list.

Now, I knew that something wasn't clear as soon as I arrived to this camp, as, even when I was being brutally dragged to a prison cell, I hadn't seen her around at all. To be fair, now that most of the people that landed on Earth have settled into one single place, the camp is incredibly crowded, but what is the chance that I would not bump into her eventually?

There is still a sliver of hope left in me as I trudge around the camp with my neck stretched upwards and eyes narrow whenever I take notice of someone that looks familiar. Then, seeing Abby stand by the entrance to the metal structure, looking around cautiously, I sigh. Giving myself a mental pep-talk as to how I should act so she doesn't suspect anything, I  brace myself and slowly approach her. If she sees me, she'd assume that everyone else is here, seeing how I would have left with them if they were to go anywhere... Right?

''Abby?'' I cough awkwardly, gaining her attention. The woman cranes her neck to face me, taking a step down until we are the same height.

''Emily,'' she gives me a short nod, before glancing around once more, ''Have you seen Clarke?''

I purse my lips tightly, wringing my hands together behind my back. The strain causes a flash of pain to jolt through my arm. I ignore it. ''Yeah, I saw her earlier in the hall. With Bellamy. Actually, I had a question for you.''

Abby tilts her head, nodding to show that she's listening.

''Well, I haven't been here that long and I'm having trouble finding Vera...'' I trail off, seeing a sudden look of panic stretch across Abby's face. ''So I was wondering, if you, by any chance, know where she is?''

My heart skips a beat as Abby's lips part in silent hesitation, before she gently grabs my hand and motions for me to follow her into the Ark. I almost cry out with joy when she leads me down an empty corridor, assuming she is taking me to see my grandma. In this moment, I have no idea how wrong I am.

We finally stop at an intersection and Abby takes my other hand in her's, clutching them both tightly, ''Marcus didn't tell you?''

I inhale sharply, a scowl stretching across my face, ''Tell me what? Abby?''

She peers down at my hands, which are beggining to shake. Is something wrong with Vera? Is that why I haven't seen her? ''Emily, I'm sorry.''

Once Abby utters these words, I know that it is bad. It is very, very bad. My eyes well up with tears, slowly shaking my head in denial, ''What are you talking about?''