[ 11 ] plague doctor

1

1.11. | PLAGUE DOCTOR

___

TONS OF SKELETONS. Tons of burnt skeletons litter the earth all around me, trapping me inside some morbid circle of death and misery. Tears constantly brim my eyes, but I am too stubborn to release them, furiously wiping under my eyes every five seconds. It leaves me wondering, how does Clarke manage to not break down? How is she holding on?

The endless questions and the lingering pain in my ribcage and head from yesterday's crying is the only thing I force myself to focus on, the scenery around me blurring until all I can see is just lines of dull grey and light blue. I mindlessly step around the crash site, unable to peel my eyes off of the charred bodies scattered over and under broken-off parts of the ship.

The pungent smell makes me lift my arm to my nose every now and then to block out the air. I wince, the scent of chemicals and smoke also burning my eyes, and a small hand caresses my own, prompting me to look up, immediately locking eyes with the ones of powder blue. Clarke takes my hand with a defeated expression, not saying anything at all as she simply squeezes it and walks forward slowly, me trailing next to her. Every moment or so, when she almost steps on someone's burnt remains, I feel her grip my knuckles tightly, my other hand placed on her upper arm in attempts of providing more comfort and stability. As I lean my head against her shoulder, clenching my eyes shut, a small part of me wishes someone would hold me close, too.

But instead, Clarke slowly peels away from me, tracing a light hand down my shoulder as she bends down, examining something on a scrap piece of metal, so I trail off once again, nearing the place where my other friends are, as well as Finn and other delinquents from the camp.

"Stay sharp. Grounder retaliation for what happened on the bridge is coming, it's just a matter of when," I hear the distinct sound of Bellamy's voice not that far away from me.

"Can you blame them?" Finn asks, my levels of anger immediately rising. I try not to say something I would regret. Or not.

Bellamy then retorts, "No. I blame you."

"Maybe if you didn't bring guns—"

Finn doesn't get to actually finish his sentence when both Raven and I speak at the same time.

"Maybe if you could shut the fuck up for one second..."

"If we didn't bring guns, we all would've been killed."

I watch as Finn looks to Raven, purposefully escaping my watchful eye, only glancing in my direction when I have looked away, side-eyeing him.

"Why they're coming doesn't matter anymore. It's our job to be ready when they do. We're on our own now," Bellamy states, everyone going silent as they continue looking around.

Suddenly, Raven yells out, making me jump and turn around to see what has gone wrong again, "Clarke, stop!"

I watch her run up to the blonde, kneeling next to her as they examine something on a scrap of the ship. I can't make out what she is saying, but I atill keep my eyes on her as she dips a small rock into some kind of substance, then standing up and shouting, "Fire in the hole!"