[ 08 ] chernobyl chicken

1

1.8. | CHERNOBYL CHICKEN

___

THE FOLLOWING DAY, I, for some strange reason, decide to see the Grounder. I swear to myself that I have no idea why I want to — I just do. Be it simply human nature of curiosity or wanting to face my attacker that I know can't hurt me now that he's bound, without telling anyone, I do exactly that. I climb the metal ladder carefully, the gash just below my ribcage aching adamantly. I am grateful that it is just shallow enough to not render me useless in terms of moving around.

The hatch is unlocked, so I lift it effortlessly, climbing up the ladder until I can place my feet onto the floor of the second level. I turn to circle around some support beams, but my movements come to a halt once my eyes spot another presence in the room. There, in the corner, sits none other than Bellamy Blake himself, a somewhat humorous expression of 'hi, I'm dead inside' stuck to his face.

"What are you doing here?" He asks, gaze lazily boring into mine. I restart walking, my small, unsure steps echoing through the space around us. We are two sardines in an empty can, and the idea of being alone with Bellamy kind of unsettles me.

"Just checking," I respond uneasily, kind of unsure of what else to say, knowing the true reason I came here was to talk to the Grounder while no one else is around. Coming to the quick conclusion that this is awkward, I turn my back to Bellamy and step toward the now awake hostage.

While the man appears mildly surprised by the fact that I am actually talking to him, Bellamy clears his throat and speaks again, "On what?"

"Not you," I reply rather harshly without quite meaning to, stopping to turn my head and flash him a sardonic smile.

"Come on," he releases a sigh, "When will you stop being mad?"

Untying the canteen that is attached to my belt loop, I take off the cap, the Grounder scanning my every move, "I'm not mad, I'm just— Fine. Whatever. Look, thank you for saving my life."

Am I mad? Can I be mad if I am alive? Bellamy went to extreme measures to save people who are basically strangers to him, especially ones like me that he isn't too fond of.

I trudge up closer to the Grounder, his eyes threateningly gazing into mine. I raise one of my hands in surrender, showing off the canteen that I am holding in the other. Bellamy immediately jumps up from his sitting position, cautiously watching us, as if prepared to pounce.

"Even though we did it by torturing him and you don't like it?" He attempts to confirm hesitantly, tone floating somewhere in puzzled clouds, as if trying his hardest as to not get distracted.

I freeze, holding eye contact with the subdued man that is being held captive. I can't find enough valor in myself to actually turn around and face Bellamy, and I feel a certain shame in the words I utter next, "Yes. Even though you tortured a man and I didn't like it one bit."