[ 04 ] the jasper kebab

1

1.4. | THE JASPER KEBAB

___

AFTER THE FLARES and the giddiness surrounding them have died down, I finally have the time to remember one of the reasons why I joined Raven on the mission to Earth; to make sure my friends are alright. So, while everyone's settling in their own little tents or sleeping spots, I run around the camp, obnoxiously calling out for Monty and Jasper. Hopefully, no one occupies the tent Bellamy has assigned to me while I'm away.

I am nearing their charred dropship, yelling out their names again, when a girl's voice grumpily shouts back, ''Some people are trying to sleep, you lunatic!''

Somehow not having the time to give a flying shit about the multiple rude comments flowing my way, I emerge through the torn up fabric of the doorway of the dropship, ''Mont--'' My yells, once again, are cut short by a body slamming straight into me, ''Woops, sorry!''

''Emily?'' A familiar male voice comes from the human wrecking ball. I lift my head and my own eyes meet with the ones of a particular boy's that I have grown to love so much.

''Jasper! Finally!'' My heart shrieks in sheer delight, an inexplicable emotion warming me up from the inside out as I collapse into his lanky arms, tears of joy springing to the corners of my eyes as we both exchange lighthearted laughs into each other's necks.

''I thought I'd never see you again,'' the messy haired boy breathes out in relief, ''Did you come here with Raven?''

Finally, I release him from the suffocating embrace, ''Yeah, I did! I'm so happy to see you!'' My hands travel up to his face, slapping both of his cheeks lightly, then moving his head in search of any injuries. A gleeful sound escapes him, my actions clearly amusing the boy, and he places his fingers on top of mine and pulls them down, taking a hold of one of my hands.

We maneuver through the dropship, ''Come on, I'll take you to Monty.''

''You better, I didn't yell both of your names to only find one of their owners," I nudge him in a mock threat, grasping his arm with my other hand in excitement, "Also, you are telling me everything that's happened so far.''

''Honestly, you won't believe half of what I'll tell you,'' Jasper retorts in a strange voice, something in-between a breathless warning and the split second just before a scoff. He pushes up a hatch, gesturing for me to climb the ladder to the second floor of the dropship. I hear quiet, metallic clicks coming from the level I have just climbed up on, pulling myself through the hatch, my eyes darting around.

Shortly after that, I just barely catch a masculine gasp, followed by a thud and a mutter, ''Shit.''

My head snaps to the left to find its source, eyes landing on one of the dark corners, from which a figure lifts up from the floor, a hand attached to their head. From behind me, Jasper huffs out a struggling breath as he joins me on the second level of the ship.