[ 12 ] i am become death

1

1.12 | I AM BECOME DEATH

___

LATER THAT DAY, Bellamy, Raven, Monty, Jasper, Harper and I are stuck in Raven's work tent — the ammunition room. The mechanic has made as many bullets as she possibly could, but we quickly come to the worrisome decision that we are running out of gunpowder. Therefore, each guard/gunner is left with a practically empty weapon.

"There's five to a clip. Let's go, we need to get these guns on the wall," Bellamy commands.

"Why just five?" Monty turns to him.

Raven lifts her head just as I secure the clip in the rifle with a click, "We're running out of gunpowder."

"Oh, we're so dead," Harper mumbles.

Jasper then tries reassuring the girl, softly saying, "Don't worry, I've got your back."

That causes Monty to scoff to himself, though he doesn't allow his expression to say anything else. Still, his best friend glares at him, "Got something to say?"

I lower my voice in a warning, glancing up at the lanky boy in front of me through my lashes, "Jasper, what the hell?"

"Hey, guys! Stay focused," Raven interjects sternly, "We need as many rounds done by dawn as we can."

Suddenly, Finn bursts through the flaps of the tent in a hurry, slamming his hands down onto the table as if the idea of the century has just come to him, "It won't matter if there's no one left who can shoot. What do we need to build a bomb?"

Curiously, I side eye him as well as I can with my head still hung low, hands fumbling with the ammo clip. Finn notices me glancing right at him, though, and casts me a look that promises he'll explain. However, he gets side-tracked, with his eyes trailing down my neck, focusing on one spot in particular. I look down immediately, already knowing what he's taken notice of — the necklace he gave me for my birthday years ago is still sitting there, the material of the charm glinting as it twists around on the delicate chain, catching the light from different angles. I haven't taken it off. Finn and I were nowhere near best friends, not like Raven and I, but we still valued each other due to our mutual friend. We shared a certain bond of respect, and the necklace was somewhat of a trinket that simply linked me to Raven.

Thankfully, the mechanic then speaks, confusion evident in her tone, "Depends on what you're trying to blow up."

"How about a bridge?"

I finally lift my head to see Bellamy raising his eyebrows, "What are you talking about?"

The fact that I realize what exactly Finn is up to is visible, as the look of comprehension plasters onto my face and I earn a questioning look from a slightly irritated Bellamy, "Oh, my God! We can slow them down by blowing the bridge."